Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Trade Center and the way we pay tribute
in a world of distributed teams and international projects that building is highly un necessary. its a relic of the past that didnt work too well.

Yeah its been 11 years. A majority of our members here were 10-13 years of age. The impact of the WTC demolition is not the same as on us 20+ years or older at the time of the demolition.

These kids don't recall clearly the world before TSA, Patriot Acts, etc. They grew up in this world of Patriot Acts, American Reichssicherheitshauptamt... etc.

10 years from now the GS membership will have a majority of 20-something year olds who were in diapers at the time and do not relate to the horror of seeing the Twin Towers collapse into their own foot prints. No more than any of us relate to the horror of the Hindenburg as it caught flame and collapsed to the ground. Altough we have images and video of the event, we are disconnected from the event and grew up in a world without Zeppelins thus don't miss the grand airships (much).

100 years from now there will be holo-deck movies much like Titanic where people will remark on twitter how they never knew that WTC (the holo-movie) was based on a real event.

Much like many didn't know that Titanic (the Movie) was based on real events: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/titan...-plot.html (:o I was shocked by the ignorance).

We do not build our buildings and structures for today, we construct them to last and to have an impact on future generations.

The Empire State Building, is 80-81 years of age. No one who constructed it is still alive, no one is still alive that can remember the skyline of New York City without it. The new WTC will most likely be standing 100 years from now.

A park will not have the impact and effect 100 years from now as a gleaming structure towering over the city. If anything, in 50 years time a park would be bulldozed and a new structure like a parking structure for flying cars would be built.

I think the greatest monument we can have for those who died at the site is a tall structure that stands up to meet the generations to follow.

I seriously doubt that planes flying into buildings on purpose can happen again. We learned on 9-11-2001 that there are people who will try that, now we will shoot down a plane with such intent no pussy footing around. IF it does happen again, especially in the USA then the government has failed spectacularly.

In Prague I think that the construction of a look-alike structure on the exterior should be built. Perhaps in an outlying town or even in the city itself another historical building could be dismantled and its exterior used to replace what was there with the interior being modern steel and concrete with a museum to the building(s). Thus keeping the feel of the 14th/15th Centuries outside, but having the space for offices and such inside.

If I had my way humans would be shot off into space. Up into orbit and into spinning wheels (habitats) leaving the Earth to us nature creatures Wink Dismantle those cities and replant the forests.

Thank you for your thoughts (and the link :eekSmile, B.A.

You made me think about the reasons why 70 years after WWII there is still lawn at the center of the city and I am (and many others are) okay with it. It is because we feel the empty space will honor the place better, or because we simply don't want any modern structure at that place?

Is it the feeling that by leaving it empty and not making big money out of it by building a new building there that could be rent... Do I feel like we pay bigger respect? Do I maybe even think that this makes us better people?
Hmm. Honestly, yes, it's possible. Maybe what I thought was honorable, is pretty selfish after all...

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:... I seriously doubt that planes flying into buildings on purpose can happen again. We learned on 9-11-2001 that there are people who will try that, now we will shoot down a plane with such intent no pussy footing around. IF it does happen again, especially in the USA then the government has failed spectacularly.

just today

a well funded terrorist project for sure would succeed. unfortunate the technology to destroy is easier than to create. It is far easier to honer the dead than the living.

East Wrote:Ahh...OK:biggrin:...my opinion would be to respect the grave and turn it into a park and memorial site...I am not a fan of the new building or any building at all on the site. Despite the murky circumstances surrounding 911 that alot of people including me question....people still need to process it and grieve no matter what they believe...maybe for decades...and I think it is a matter of respect to allow that to happen.

I think I would have agreed with the park idea, East, but I have, unfortunately, photographic evidence that that tower (the Freedom Tower) and others almost like it are under heavy construction and are ready to rock... to the winds. I suspect land is so expensive in New York that anything that can reach the heavens is a mine of gold to whoever builds it. The thing is, will people WANT to go and work in the building? Or will it be haunted with scarecrows of the past?
I can't answer that question. The Freedom Tower is awesome to look at, indeed, and the whole area is in turmoil, at the moment but I think it is best for the New Yorkers to decide what's best for them, too.

@ Bowyn Aerrow.... You seem to think that a park wouldn't have been as resplendent or inventive as a new tower? Well, someone I was walking around Central Park with recently made a remark which I found interesting. They said that it was great that the town planners, at the time and to this day, had resisted the idea of selling off parts of the park to build more housing on Manhattan, and indeed it is remarkable that the park is so well respected by generation after generation of New Yorkers and New York politicians. The money to be made from such a sale of lang would be enormous. So I really don't see why a park couldn't be as important in meaning or greater than a huge building... As I said, I think it's to do with money as much as it is to do with defying the terrorists.

The driving force behind my opinion I think is experince (which is one of the by products of age:biggrinSmile...and I think of this park quite often actually in San Jose (California) where I went to school ...

I am lucky I guess as I am not really jaded about murder...it affects me profoundly and I can't watch any of the crime shows about murder because it is not my idea of entertainment (though I love zombies eating people so go figure:biggrinSmile

...and one of the reasons it affects me is because when I was in Junior High the guy who sat next to me since 4th grade and also was in Boys Choir with me had his sister and her friend who were a couple years older murdered and had all the blood drained out of them...they were left on a hill where there is now a park and memorial where houses have gone up all around. They thought it was the Manson Family at first but later they found the killer...the case was pretty famous as one had something like 450 stab wounds and the other 250...I think they were 14 and 15 at the time.

...and during the same time we had the famous Zodiac Killer who promised to kill kids coming off a bus one by one so everyday on the way to school we had "Zodiac alerts" where the busdriver would scream ZODIAC KILLER and we all had to dive under our seats...I ended up being a nervous wreck and opted to ride my bike and/or walk to school.

...between those two events happening....and watching the brother go from being happy and fun to never again talking or smiling and he was always so sad...I was devasted for him...I got a dose of how murder and crime affects people and I never forget it...and when I pass by that park which is often I always remember and feel empathy for ALL the victims of murder...I am glad for the reminder because like I said...I am not jaded about murder at all and the law of averages says I should be...

...those horrible crime shows are top rated here in the US...I despise them...

Vigilias Wrote:Build.

Build tall, proud and defiant.

You rang? Smile