Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you date a Disabled person.
artyboy Wrote:What do you mean? I think it's an important thing to talk about. What's a point of a fourm otherwise?

I'm sorry. That didn't come out right. First part was just the first thought that came to mind. Mostly rhetorical.

And then I should have said, invariably I prefer people who have positive outlooks, so as long as that's there, sure, I would date a disabled person.

No worries fella Smile

Hmmm. Interesting that we're talking about this right now. I met a guy yesterday, through my work. I think he's a little older than me. Nice looking, smart and a wicked sense of humor. He's also legally blind. Not sure how much he can see, but I suspect that it's very little.

I'm pretty sure he's gay, there was just that vibe there and he said a couple things that might have been mildly flirtatious. I know where he works, so I could get in touch with him. IDK, I want to ask him out, but I'm not sure how he'd feel about my insane work schedule (rotating shifts, overtime, etc.). Also, since I'm not positive he's gay, I'm not sure how to approach him.

Lol I realize that all my obsessing has nothing to do with his disability, guess I'm sort of off topic here. Just kind of thinking out loud...

We are all disabled in our own ways, some are just more visible then others.

Some of the most beautiful souls have come from handicapped people. Whether it's music from Stevie Wonder, Activism from Helen Keller, or scientific breakthroughs and realizations from Stephen Hawkins.

All people are deserving of love.

Gemini Wrote:When I dated that guy who'd lost part of his leg, I had to learn to NOT rush in to help unless he asked for help.

That would be my problem. In really in any relationship... I think I offer to help too often. It seems to get on most people's nerves trying to offer to help or do things for someone. Make sense because I don't expect or want someone to... I don't know, do my laundry out of the blue or feel that they have to buy everything for me and that sort of thing... Yet I find myself doing and offerings things to people I wouldn't like... not that I am like most other people but most people do want to feel dependent on others.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:That would be my problem. In really in any relationship... I think I offer to help too often. It seems to get on most people's nerves trying to offer to help or do things for someone. Make sense because I don't expect or want someone to... I don't know, do my laundry out of the blue or feel that they have to buy everything for me and that sort of thing... Yet I find myself doing and offerings things to people I wouldn't like... not that I am like most other people but most people do want to feel dependent on others.

If you should feel an urge to do my laundry, I'll be VERY appreciative lol.

But I get what you're saying. I think that sometimes if you're trying to too much for people, they get almost defensive because they think you're implying that they can't manage on their own or can't do it as good as you do. The guy I was talking about got really pissed, and I get it - he went from being this macho, can-do marine to a guy people think they have to take care of.

As for feeling dependent on others. I don't want to have to depend on others to pay my way or do manage my life and activities. It would be nice to have a guy I could depend on for moral support, to be there when I DO need someone etc. I mean, I get that you can't depend on others for your happiness and stuff, but it would be nice to be able to depend on someone to always have my back.

Gemini Wrote:If you should feel an urge to do my laundry, I'll be VERY appreciative lol.

But I get what you're saying. I think that sometimes if you're trying to too much for people, they get almost defensive because they think you're implying that they can't manage on their own or can't do it as good as you do. The guy I was talking about got really pissed, and I get it - he went from being this macho, can-do marine to a guy people think they have to take care of.

As for feeling dependent on others. I don't want to have to depend on others to pay my way or do manage my life and activities. It would be nice to have a guy I could depend on for moral support, to be there when I DO need someone etc. I mean, I get that you can't depend on others for your happiness and stuff, but it would be nice to be able to depend on someone to always have my back.

I hate people running over to me and helping me things, like when people hold doors for ever for me or asking if I'm okay when I'm pulling my self out of a chair, or the one that really pisses me off is when I'm in my wheelchair and someone decides I need a push without asking me first. Ffs how would you like someone to come up to you and grabbed your wrist and started to pull you about and you don't even know the person.

artyboy Wrote:I hate people running over to me and helping me things, like when people hold doors for ever for me or asking if I'm okay when I'm pulling my self out of a chair, or the one that really pisses me off is when I'm in my wheelchair and someone decides I need a push without asking me first. Ffs how would you like someone to come up to you and grabbed your wrist and started to pull you about and you don't even know the person.

oof, yeah I never seen it that way Tongue, that would get annoying.
I dont really do that, I have a no touching policy unless asked but I do hold the door for everyone though not just someone in a wheel chair, though I would probably hold it longer for them.

Ive noticed at my University when im walking through a door and completely walking on auto pilot thinking of something else if I dont pay enough attention to hold the door for most girls they get awe full aggravated and make a sort of snorting noise Wink. Seems some expect it and some dont want it and no way to please everyone haha.

artyboy Wrote:I hate people running over to me and helping me things, like when people hold doors for ever for me or asking if I'm okay when I'm pulling my self out of a chair, or the one that really pisses me off is when I'm in my wheelchair and someone decides I need a push without asking me first. Ffs how would you like someone to come up to you and grabbed your wrist and started to pull you about and you don't even know the person.

It is for the most part customary to hold doors open for people, at least in the southern US. It is a polite thing to do, whether someone is disabled or not. It would be especially rude to not hold the door (assuming it isn't automatic, ADA requires automatic doors at public places...like where I work, that is another subject in itself).

As far as touching people, yeah I don't like when people touch me nor do I go around touching strangers, unless there is a good reason to grab a hold of someone...say you're going to keep someone from falling down stairs for instance...

I only like guys touching me anways Catfly
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:It is for the most part customary to hold doors open for people, at least in the southern US. It is a polite thing to do, whether someone is disabled or not. It would be especially rude to not hold the door (assuming it isn't automatic, ADA requires automatic doors at public places...like where I work, that is another subject in itself).

As far as touching people, yeah I don't like when people touch me nor do I go around touching strangers, unless there is a good reason to grab a hold of someone...say you're going to keep someone from falling down stairs for instance...

I only like guys touching me anways Catfly

Sorry I mean people come running out of no where to open the door. EG I'm pushing the door open little hard for me but they open it from the other side and I go flying lol. I walk most of the time BTW.