Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Writer's Block
A few years ago I had the idea of writing a book. One of those out of left field ideas that I felt would go the way of the dodo, but would certainly be a very rewarding one if I could follow through. Well, it hasn't happened yet. I used to be able to write more freely when I was growing up, but now I find it difficult to do anything that is fiction. Obviously, I can write, but seems the idea of coming up with a story just flops. I have read about how to make outlines and so on but I feel like the problem is in the brainstorming of a story. But, I also don't read much fiction, I don't read books for leisure. Doesn't mean I don't read a lot of stuff, just not like I should perhaps. I do recall reading about how reading books will probably make you a better writer, but I don't know if that is a death sentence for someone who wants to write a book.

Same goes with poetry, probably some 15-20 years ago I could write poems. Granted they were structured properly, or at least how we were taught in school, I simply wrote what I wanted, whether it rhymed or had the correct number of syllables didn't really matter that much. Now I find myself obsessed of trying to fit my thoughts into the structure and I feel that having forced something into some structure, like rhyming something, correct number of syllables and so forth robs the meaning. Perhaps I'm just not that crafty with words.

Its as if something that I once had has died, either lack of self-confidence or perhaps my imagination died, perhaps dealing with the real world has sucked the inspiration out of me? Probably a combination of those....Although I can think of all sorts of things I would like to paint (but can't ever find the time it seems).

I don't know if I am getting across what it is that I am struggling with?

Anyway, probably just another thread where I bitch about things...likewise anyone else having issues with writer's block can hijack the thread lol since it was mentioned in another thread.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I know where you are coming from. I struggle with the same too. In both our cases it's probably our motivation and Inspiration that needs a boost. I read a lot of books a year, but that still doesn't necessarily motivate or inspire me to write. I feel that my life is too cluttered right now, both physically and mentally. I can't seem to dedicate 'quiet time' for serious writing.

Having said that, I have been inspired lately to start writing poetry again, but that doesn't take as much energy or motivation for me. I can churn that out relatively quickly as it all seems to come tumbling out. I'm not sure where the motivation for it came from though, I think I just felt a creative void that spurred me into it.
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>

@InbetweenDreams you do need to read to write. Reading a lot of books is NOT a death sentence to someone who wants to write a book. You need to read a lot. Believing reading will taint and corrupt your own creativity is toxic.

A good book to read on writing is On Writing by Stephen King. You might not agree with all of his advice, maybe you prefer plotting while King prefers what the writing community calls "pantsing," but it's a good book to start.

Speaking of plotting versus pantsing, maybe to help jog back your creative engines, you could try winging it (pantsing). Not everything you write has to be for others. Writing just for you, and only you, is a good way to make you more confident in your creative ability. Of course, I've written things just for me that were so embarressing, I've deleted them and hope to God no one ever recovers it, but it helps train your brain to lull you into that trancelike state where a story flashes before your eyes and you type everything you see and hear.

Writing isn't like a physical sport. You don't need to have a young healthy body to do it. You do need practice, and lots of it, but it's never too late to start. I tend to agree with Stephen King in that writing should be enjoyable. I didn't start writing because I wanted to be a writer, it began as a hobby. If you found you enjoyed writing and want to go back, you should start writing again, and reading (movies don't count, but audio books do).

Here's a plan - look for a book you think you might enjoy reading (can be any book, a romance, sci-fi, fantasy, anything), read it so long as it interests you (you don't need to force yourself to read books you don't like), maybe a chapter a day, doesn't matter, and set aside time to write. Write anything, could be cringy fan fiction, doesn't matter, just write about whatever you want to write about.
[-] The following 1 member Likes Chase's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

(06-03-2021, 10:06 PM)Chase Wrote: @InbetweenDreams you do need to read to write. Reading a lot of books is NOT a death sentence to someone who wants to write a book. You need to read a lot. Believing reading will taint and corrupt your own creativity is toxic.

I think I may have misspoke, or rather mistyped. I don't read a lot of books, things like novels and alike. Just never been what you call a bookworm. What I meant was that I'm worried that because I'm not an avid book reader that would be a detriment to writing anything of much quality, provided I find whatever groove and do it. I definitely lack creativity and confidence in that area. I find it difficult to come up with an idea and when I do I tend to think they're bad ideas.

(06-03-2021, 10:06 PM)Chase Wrote: A good book to read on writing is On Writing by Stephen King. You might not agree with all of his advice, maybe you prefer plotting while King prefers what the writing community calls "pantsing," but it's a good book to start.

Speaking of plotting versus pantsing, maybe to help jog back your creative engines, you could try winging it (pantsing). Not everything you write has to be for others. Writing just for you, and only you, is a good way to make you more confident in your creative ability. Of course, I've written things just for me that were so embarressing, I've deleted them and hope to God no one ever recovers it, but it helps train your brain to lull you into that trancelike state where a story flashes before your eyes and you type everything you see and hear.

Writing isn't like a physical sport. You don't need to have a young healthy body to do it. You do need practice, and lots of it, but it's never too late to start. I tend to agree with Stephen King in that writing should be enjoyable. I didn't start writing because I wanted to be a writer, it began as a hobby. If you found you enjoyed writing and want to go back, you should start writing again, and reading (movies don't count, but audio books do).

Here's a plan - look for a book you think you might enjoy reading (can be any book, a romance, sci-fi, fantasy, anything), read it so long as it interests you (you don't need to force yourself to read books you don't like), maybe a chapter a day, doesn't matter, and set aside time to write. Write anything, could be cringy fan fiction, doesn't matter, just write about whatever you want to write about.

I will definitely check that out. I think the creativity part is going to be the first heavy lift. I suppose some people are great with telling stories, or like my grandpa was, good at bullshitting (making up stories) but not everyone is good at putting it on paper (at first).
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!