Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Writing my novel.
Latest Word Count: 11212
+2545 Words.
Prologue, Chapter 1,2, 3 & 4
Chapter 5 in progress.

Well there, an update after some time. I finally decided to say screw it and write chapter 4, and I am not completely satisfied, but I am satisfied enought that I can move on. Some parts move too quick, but I can fix that later.
Since my roommate has found herself a boyfriend, I have a had a lot more time at home alone. So the last few days I have been dying to write more, so I did. Hopefully this inspiration will stick around Big Grin

Are you going to give us a preview?

pretty please with choco chips on it...

frank

p.s. Have you read any Clive Barker?

fjp999 Wrote:Are you going to give us a preview?

pretty please with choco chips on it...

frank

p.s. Have you read any Clive Barker?

A preview huh? I don't know if I have the confidence to post anything beyond a synopsis... plus I hate spoiling things for people. Perhaps if there is more demand for it Wink .

I haven't really read much of Clive Barker. But I have seen some of his movies. I have read some Stephen King, but I sometimes find it hard to follow his story sometimes.
Perhaps Saltybeanz will read this too, but I have thought of many things that have inspired me.
Real life events, whether they happen to me or things I have seen on the news. Movies, I love watching movies to find interesting characters and plot twists. Video games, which I consider to be a different medium for story telling (especially epic RPG's like Final Fantasy:biggrin: ). I love to listen to music, usually instrumentals and orchestras. And mythology, I enjoy many mythologies, Greek being my favorite, but my story borrows from Christian mythology of Heaven and Hell, but with my own twisted take on itScatter

The movie I thought of from your synopsis is Clive Barker's Nightbreed but the novel is called Cabal.

He creates an underworld of demons and characters (not hell) but very well done.

I really like Clive Barkers work as he combines horror with fantasy and social commentary.

So how about more synopsis. I love reading good horror and it sounds like you have a great concept.

frank

Surprisingly, my story isn't even horror, but an epic fantasy. The demons and such that I am presenting in Hell are going to resemble classic concepts of demons, ie: horns, wings.
Even more so, the most frightening part of my story so far is the prologue. Hell itself isn't quite as bad as some may think, but I still have some ideas to make it brutal and scary.

I mentioned before that the synopsis I gave in post #4 is only part 1 of the story. Parts 2 & 3 take place outside of Hell. And I have been recently toying with the idea of adding two more parts to serve as prequels, but only after I finish the main three I am working on.

XRIMO Wrote:I have read some Stephen King, but I sometimes find it hard to follow his story sometimes.

I love Stephen King books... but I agree... it can get confusing at times... as one chapter seems to flow to the next but then you realise its a completely different time to what you thought it was eg.. IT swapping back and forth between the childhood and adulthood.

And wow at doing so well with the book so far... and the synopsis you've given so far is very intriguing!!!

Latest Word Count: 13947
+2735 Words.
Prologue, Chapters 1-5

Yeah, I finished my longest chapter thus far. It was originally two chapters when I did my rough draft, but I decided to merge them because it seemed to make more sense than to have two short, yet related chapters.
I finally get to work on moving the plot forward again in Chapter 6. Chapter 5 was mostly expostion.

XRIMO Wrote:Surprisingly, my story isn't even horror, but an epic fantasy. The demons and such that I am presenting in Hell are going to resemble classic concepts of demons, ie: horns, wings.
Even more so, the most frightening part of my story so far is the prologue. Hell itself isn't quite as bad as some may think, but I still have some ideas to make it brutal and scary.

The thing about your story not being horror is why I thought of Clive Barker and Nightbreed/Cabal. Again, the story doesnt take place in Hell but underground as the demons etc have to hide from the humans as they are the nasties & the demons are really cool with families and such.

Another of my fav directors, David Cronenberg, plays a Psychiatrist with a sick fetish of hunting down the demons and torturing them. He wears this really scary mask while on the hunt.

IMHO, it is a very good, under-appreciated film.

Great progress on the novel and btw, do you have a title (or did I miss you mentioning it?)?

I remember watching Nightbreed when I was younger, I just don't remember the plot that much Wink .

I do have a title for the novel as a whole, though the subtitles for each part are still in question. I've decided that the work as a whole will be title: Obliteration . The part I'm working on at the moment, I've believe I have firmly decided to call it: The Fall of Hell. The other two parts I'm still a bit iffy on the subtitles, but I don't really have to worry about them until I get there.

(On a side note, my roommates cat is being especially affectionate helping me type this message, and even looks like she is reading it too. Big Grin )

Latest Word Count: 17034
+3087 Words.
Prologue, Chapters 1-6
Chapter 7 in progress.

I really liked chapter 6, so I made sure to finish it today. Chapter 7 however is a pain in the butt (not the good kind either:redface: ).
I like chapter 7, but it is so hard to word things the way that I want. I have really just used the simplest descriptions, not worrying at the moment at finding the right words. I made sure to note that I need to heavily edit chapter 7. The fun part is introducing new characters, yay!