Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another shooting in the USA
This time live on TV. So often we hear that "guns don't kill people, it's people who kill people". Well, it's people with guns that kill people.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34068541
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Actually its people that simply want to kill people that kill people.
I own a gun and I never shot anyone.

"Switzerland issues every adult a gun and trains them how to use it: Switzerland has the lowest gun-related crime rate in the civilized world."

The problem is not guns, its crazy people.

In the United States,,, it ain't a fun night out on the town unless you hear a couple bullets whizzing by your head!!!

When they say; don't move,,,, they really mean it!!!

Just kidding.

With a population of over 350 million people,,,, only 1 in 3 own guns. Just don't mess with that third person and you'll be ok (smile)................ <fleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee>

I'd gladly tell you who that third person is,,, but they'd probably shoot me!!!! So I'm keeping quiet!!!

My 87 year old neighbor lady owns a gun,,, she can't hear to well, and her sight is not what it used to be,,, so I always call her before I come to visit - that way she won't mistake me for one of the neighbors she doesn't like (Big Grin)..

Rambling comedy,
Jimeroooo
We Have Elvis !!

SilverBullet Wrote:Actually its people that simply want to kill people that kill people.
I own a gun and I never shot anyone.

"Switzerland issues every adult a gun and trains them how to use it: Switzerland has the lowest gun-related crime rate in the civilized world."

The problem is not guns, its crazy people.

This - and only this is demontrable proof that guns are not the problem.

You UK folk got your civil rights and liberties taken from you and you didn't care - now you are under constant surveillance and are unarmed.

Lets take a closer look at the UK gun ban and how gun crimes went up to demonstrate that taking guns from honest people means only he dishonest will have guns.

A lot of these really crazy shooters were known to have psychiatric problems but they weren't treated (or at least not treated competently, and giving them brain altering pills, that is psyche meds, without supervision is NOT competent treatment, it's BEGGING for trouble!). Unfortunately, our nation is more interested in giving welfare to the rich rather than people who need some sort of supervision or care and even the peddling of pills is more about making corporations rich than helping those who need help. And when left untreated it also makes it that much easier for them to buy guns without raising any red flags in either the databases or those who know them.

Even when they are or otherwise known to be a threat it's depressing how many will have relatives who will provide them with guns or leave them available. Adam Lanza was known to have psychiatric problems and his mother was actively seeking treatment for him (and some say she was trying to have him committed which is very difficult to do but the court records are sealed so it's unknown if she was or not, but one idea on what set him off was that he thought his mother was "trying to get rid of him" by having him committed) yet despite this she left her guns where he could get at them and her own door unlocked. She'd pay for her recklessness with her life as would many at Sandy Hook when his mother should've damn well known better. (I'm actually more upset with his mother than I am the shooter because I think the shooter was simply insane, sort of like how I'd be angry at one who kept a rabid dog and let it run loose than I would be at the rabid dog.)

On top of that we have a violence loving culture (on both sides of the law, unfortunately) as well as people who will do anything for their 15 minutes of fame, from getting pregnant underage to shooting people up.

And I really don't know what the appeal of the Columbine shootings (there's reason to believe it never would've happened had one of the boys not been ordered to take Ritalin, btw) is that fascinate so many who copy them but we do have lots of copy cats (for that and others, and I always dread the dates of the major massacres fearing someone else will imitate their heroes in attempting another mass murder).

And I remember when I saw a movie preview showing gangsters shooting up a cinema I thought they shouldn't show that because that's diabolical and sure enough it wasn't long after the first cinema shooting took place (by a crazy guy) and since then more copy cats have taken up the cause. The one mildly lucky break (as in "could be worse") is that these copycats are remarkably uncreative which means their plans are often simple and easy to fall apart (when they could do much worse things that don't even involve guns at all and probably escape to do it again before caught) and often prove incompetent at what they plan to do in the first place.

Still, they're a concern and I'm sick of it...but while I don't mind making it harder (as opposed to impossible) to get guns, there are a lot more problems tied up in all this based on our cultural values and priorities. Just focusing on the guns isn't going to do much as there'd be no stopping the black market (at least the UK and Australia is surrounded by water and didn't have many guns in circulation in the first place), that is you can't ban them anymore than you can ban cocaine or alcohol (well you can, but it just makes the problem worse instead of better), and while a draconian ban probably would cause mass shootings to plummet other violent crimes would rise to take their place, and other ways to commit mass murder would as well.

LONDONER Wrote:This time live on TV. So often we hear that "guns don't kill people, it's people who kill people". Well, it's people with guns that kill people.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34068541
my guns have never killed anybody. I hopethey never do.

hank Wrote:my guns have never killed anybody. I hopethey never do.

Amen to that.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams