Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yoga
I'm becoming much more interested in yoga lately, and I wanted a broad opinion on this:

Is it better to attend a class and pay monthly fees, or buy a dvd and copy the motions/poses in your living room? I understand that in a class, you can get feedback from an instructor, but some of those positions...Jesus...how do people pull their legs over their head and not fart in front of the rest of the class?!

You would get more one on one attention as a beginner in a class .
Breathing techniques ,balance stretching and pose.
You could also meet some people there.

That being said if you are an A Type person and are self motivated you can do so at home.
It depends on your own motivation.

Have you taken classes, Mum? I'm curious about the atmosphere, because I like socializing, but I would like my practicing to be more relief than chatter...plus I REALLY like picking my own music for workouts, so I'm torn here.

I have taken classes and the atmosphere is rather relaxing and soothing ,it's not a hens club ,not much chatting at all.
You can feel the energy in the room,eventually you will be able to be more in touch with your own breathing and body and that's when you get the best benefits from it.

It's really not as bad as it seems , body noises are pretty much ignored , actually there is a branch of Yoga that deals with releasing the gases of the body , if you are worried about it you can take some herbal medication for IBS or digest some ginger.

No one is going to collapse into fits of laughter or giggle like a school girl.:biggrin:
Just breath through your eyes Rofl ( sorry couldn't resist)

Funny you mention ginger, my mother is on a "spicy/sweet" kick, and she got hooked on ginger chews.

I'm thinking I would like classes for a while, then just take what I've learned back home.