Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You don't like flying?
Then think what it was like in the early days of flying. This image from Lufthansa's archives shows one of the airlines' plane cabins in 1926. The only thing that appears less sturdy than the Dornier Merkur aircraft itself is set of wicker chairs meant for passengers.

[Image: 56cde6821e0000230070ea8b.jpeg]

Here's a look at a similar cabin design, most likely shot in 1924, according to Getty Images.

[Image: 56e1cbc71e0000b300703bea.jpeg]

According to helicopter and rotorcraft directory Aviastar, variations of the Dornier Komet featured one propeller and four to six seats for passengers, plus an open cockpit for the pilot (the Komet III included a second seat in the cockpit for the mechanic).

It also featured our nightmares.

[Image: 56e1cbfe1e0000950070fb57.jpeg]
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Wonder what the safety record was...
I bid NO Trump!

You gotta hand to peeps involved in aircraft development that air travel has had exponential advances in a short period of time (barely a century old, people!!!) compared with milennia of development of land and sea travel.

I wouldn't mind trying those, although I reckon in those time this was for the most adventurous people.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Without Martini's & toilets????

It must have been a insufferably primitive experience!!!!
We Have Elvis !!

jimcrackcorn Wrote:Without Martini's & toilets????

I'd never thought about the toilets. I wonder what they did? A bucket behind a curtain or even worse, open the door and hang on precariously?

LONDONER Wrote:I'd never thought about the toilets. I wonder what they did? A bucket behind a curtain or even worse, open the door and hang on precariously?

But thinking about who in the ground would get hit with it was sure fun enough to take your mind off the danger Rofl

Insertnamehere Wrote:But thinking about who in the ground would get hit with it was sure fun enough to take your mind off the danger Rofl

LOL. I was thinking that the plane would be over the ocean. Over land doesn't bear thinking about.

"Please hold your needs until we reach international waters, thank you" Rofl

Insertnamehere Wrote:"Please hold your needs until we reach international waters, thank you" Rofl

That is very funny. Made me laugh out loud.

jimcrackcorn Wrote:Without Martini's & toilets????

LONDONER Wrote:I'd never thought about the toilets. I wonder what they did? A bucket behind a curtain or even worse, open the door and hang on precariously?

the first transatlantic passenger flight was in 1931. by then there were toilets. actually, the first lavatory on an aircraft was already built in 1921. airliners from 1928 onwards (e.g. Handley Page) were fitted with toilets as necessary.

by 1939 there was passenger service on board. before that, the only transatlantic flights were by pilots themselves (and occasionally 1-2 select passengers). continental flights were organized so that an adequate number of stops were made en route for fuel and other necessities.

it was no different than getting on a non-stop bus that you had to travel on for 2 hours. it is common sense to relieve yourself right before getting on the vehicle.
''Do I look civilized to you?''