Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Best and Your Worst
Emiliano Wrote:What do you think is your best trait, and why?

My "moral compass", for lack of a better term. I can't say it's at the top of my list as my favorite things about myself... but it's probably the -best- thing about myself. I don't look to religion. I don't look to my peers or social norms, nor social pressure. I may collect information so that I can view things from multiiple perspectives and make an informed decision, but when it boils down to a question of right and wrong, I look inside myself and to what my "gut" says is right. Always. I need something to -feel- right in order for it to be okay.

Emiliano Wrote:What do you think is your worst trait, and what would you do to alter it if you could?

Again, my "moral compass", for lack of a better term. I need something to -feel- right in order for it to be okay. Life isn't always fair, and it isn't always just. This is something I struggle with a LOT.

We can't fight every battle, win every war, and fix every injustice.... I know this, but dwelling on it can and will eat away at my spirit. In many ways, I live in a life of chosen ignorance in order to protect myself from the sickening feeling (it can be an actual physical ailment, or can trigger my depression and anxiety to dangerous levels, or both) my moral compass can produce when I witness (or am in some way party to, or a "victim" of) a lack of "fairness" in life.

Emiliano Wrote:And would you be willing to lose your best trait for the ability to alter your worst?

No. I'm happy with who I am, and all that entails. The flaws that I -can- fix, I work on. Those I can't just are part-and-parcel with who I am.

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:My "moral compass", for lack of a better term. I can't say it's at the top of my list as my favorite things about myself... but it's probably the -best- thing about myself. I don't look to religion. I don't look to my peers or social norms, nor social pressure. I may collect information so that I can view things from multiiple perspectives and make an informed decision, but when it boils down to a question of right and wrong, I look inside myself and to what my "gut" says is right. Always. I need something to -feel- right in order for it to be okay.

Again, my "moral compass", for lack of a better term. I need something to -feel- right in order for it to be okay. Life isn't always fair, and it isn't always just. This is something I struggle with a LOT.

We can't fight every battle, win every war, and fix every injustice.... I know this, but dwelling on it can and will eat away at my spirit. In many ways, I live in a life of chosen ignorance in order to protect myself from the sickening feeling (it can be an actual physical ailment, or can trigger my depression and anxiety to dangerous levels, or both) my moral compass can produce when I witness (or am in some way party to, or a "victim" of) a lack of "fairness" in life.

No. I'm happy with who I am, and all that entails. The flaws that I -can- fix, I work on. Those I can't just are part-and-parcel with who I am.

So your best and worst trait are the same thing... That's an interesting way to view it, and I definitely understand what you mean from what you wrote. It puts you in a tough situation though, I would imagine. To have to force yourself to not look at certain things, things that you may otherwise find important or feel strongly about, for your own mental health. But at least you've learned that lesson and can do what you can for yourself.

Emiliano Wrote:I find it interesting you describe your best trait as something you do to a fault and your worst trait as something that has helped you out greatly in your life.

Loyalty is socially acceptable, violent behavior isn't. I dont mind it myself, I'd rather somebody try to fight me than talk behind my back I think its more honorable , but I dont make the rules.

My worst trait is that I don't have much of an imagination / personality. I'm often bored but I don't really have the patience to do anything worthwhile. My mind is a really small place.

My best trait: I think my ring fingers look nice.

himself Wrote:My worst trait is that I don't have much of an imagination / personality. I'm often bored but I don't really have the patience to do anything worthwhile. My mind is a really small place.

My best trait: I think my ring fingers look nice.

A good looking ring finger is hard to find.

For me, my best trait is my kindness. My worst trait would be my insecurity. I would never trade my kindness for anything, I sincerely want the world to be a better place. Bleeding heart yes, but I can't help who I am.

Confuzzled4 Wrote:For me, my best trait is my kindness. My worst trait would be my insecurity. I would never trade my kindness for anything, I sincerely want the world to be a better place. Bleeding heart yes, but I can't help who I am.

You're definitely a very kind person. I think we need more of that. Have you ever seen The Great Dictator by Charlie Chaplin? The final speech in that movie is very powerful and it includes a line about kindness that always stuck with me. Some of its power is lost when pulled out of context, but, "More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness."

I'm curious now after thinking about some of the previous answers. Was there ever a time when your insecurities somehow worked out in your favor, or to prevent something bad from happening to you? Can even our worst traits contribute something positive to who we are?

I never saw the Great Dictator, though I have watched the final scene where Chaplin delivered that poignant speech. My former best friend told me my insecurities made me more approachable. There can be some positive out of even the worst traits, but for me it hasn't done much positively.

I'll start with my worst, cause it's easier.

I have a really hard time with the whole forgiving and forgetting thing. I don't forget bad things, grievances. I fact I have a really really really good memory for negative events, so it's hard for me to forgive and move on, etc.

I hold grudges and that is something I don't like about me. Sometimes I lash out to people because of it, so that's not good. And it's also unhealthy for me. Living with that anger, reliving all the bad situations in my head over and over...not a good way to live.

I mean, eventually I do...move on..sort of. At least I keep a lid on the bad memories. But it takes me way too long.

As for the best trait? Uhm.....I'll get back to you on that?
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Insertnamehere Wrote:As for the best trait? Uhm.....I'll get back to you on that?

Well you haven't killed anyone yet, right? That's something to celebrate.

And it's nice to see you around again.