Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Most Nostalgic Memory... In Video Games
To make up for my horrible social skills and bombed-to-shit introductory thread, I'll make a fun little thread that can harbor nothing but peace. That's because video games are awesome.

Disclaimer: If you don't like video games, then you probably won't like this thread!
Kek

I suppose I'll start with mine, and that's with Intelligent Qube (commonly abbreviated as 'IQ') on the original PlayStation. It is a very endearing, and surreal puzzle game designed by Masahiko Sako (who, unfortunately, has no Wiki page to speak of, therefore, I cannot reference other works of his). The goal of this game is to destroy all of the cubes in a certain amount of moves or less by planting 'bombs' on the floor. However, the challenge comes when you find that the black cubes are not to be destroyed. If they are destroyed, you lose a square foot of walking room behind you, eventually cramping you in between the oncoming cubes, and your imminent drop into the limitless abyss.

(Insert YouTube Link of Gameplay Here)

I used to play this very often before school when I was around six-years-old. The small version I played came on an old PlayStation Underground Demo Disc. Today, this game has a cult following, and is relatively expensive (for a PS1 game).

I had two memorable games.

Roller Coaster Tycoon

I played this game since I was in high school until my early college years. I played it with my younger brother. We competed and showcased our theme parks. We discussed on how to unlock new theme park etc.

It was probably the best and saddest memory I've had with my younger brother as he hates my guts now ha, ha...

Puzzle Pirates

I played this game for several years whilst I was in college. It was a great online game.

well im a bit older but when pc gaming really started to take off with fps games like quake , doom etc - the one that I really gives me great memories is a game called Blood 2 - it looks so dated now but it had game play in spades

the other game was Unreal - this game had the wow factor that really needed a great graphics card too - its was definitely ground breaking

Three games really stand out for me as being nostalgic.

The Sonic the Hedgehog series was the first game series that I remember playing in my lifetime. I used to own the games on my Sega Saturn, but now have them all on a collection disc on the PlayStation 2. I never grow tired of playing the original 4 Sonic games even now, true nostalgia these games bring me. And who can forget the awesome soundtracks from the games? I actually have most of them on my Ipod! Just the tracks alone bring back many happy memories of when I was first playing these games.

Crash Bandicoot was the first game I owned on the PlayStation 1. I remember, as a child, being amazed that the game character was running FORWARDS on the screen, not from left to right. I remember finding the game pretty difficult back then. When I play through now, it's a piece of cake in comparison, but it still floods me with good memories. The level in the video below I remember really finding difficult back then:

And lastly, the Tomb Raider series. The older games fill me with such nostalgia, and I consider them to the be the best. I remember watching my mum play Tomb Raider 1 back in 1996, when I was a little too young to play the game myself. A few years later I played, and loved the game, and there started a Tomb Raider collection which would include every game in the series, hours upon hours of fun.

For anyone who has played the game, who can forget that extremely tall room in the level St Francis' Folly, with the puzzle rooms leading off from it? Not to mention the beautiful music that cues as you enter the room (8:50 in the video).

Nostalgia overload.

I spent MANY hours playing Silkworm on my Commodore 64. I was addicted. Those were the days! (I actually completed it with the Jeep too!!) :biggrin:

<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>

Bookworm Wrote:I spent MANY hours playing Silkworm on my Commodore 64. I was addicted. Those were the days! (I actually completed it with the Jeep too!!) :biggrin:

Love simple games like that Smile. And who knew Jeeps could jump? :biggrin:

I guess one of my fondest memories was when I was about 6. My parents had bought me a Commodore 64 that I was completely addicted to. I remember sneaking down the stairs after going to bed to ask for a drink. My parents were cuddled up on the sofa playing a game called 'The Newzealand Story'. The game wasn't anything special but I remember feeling thrilled that my parents were taking an interest in something I enjoyed doing.

Personally, the Dizzy games were my favourite as a kid. Specifically Magicland Dizzy.

Huge Spoilers I guess:

But in Final Fantasy VI when the world basically ends. I never saw the bad guy succeed in a game before this. I also really loved the opera house sequence. It was just perfect.

In FFV when Galuf dies. Probably one of the saddest moments in games for me. Everything about that scene was terrible in a good way. I was devastated for the remainder of that day, and almost put the game down. But I had to avenge his death.

I grew up playing for the longest time the original SMB with duck hunt and the track game on the same NES cart.

There are so many others but these are the huge hitters.

the game that will always be number 1 on my list is Golden Eye, I fell in love with first person shooters after that, it felt like I was actually in the action and not peaking over someones shoulder. then there was all the nights staying up with friends playing the multiplayer with DK mode on over course Tongue and a tone of other random modes like paint ball and one hit kill.

[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

Silent Hill 2. Scared the shit out of me in middle school, but I'd play it in the dark, at night, alone, just for the fear factor. One particular moment in the game I remember is in the apartments, when you enter the room with the clock, and there's this loud ambient sound as you get closer. I always ran through the room because it creeped me out. Yeah, I'm weird, but I love scary stuff Smile