Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your favorite gay/GLBT book?
I haven't read many but Diary of a Sex Addict by Scott Alexander Hess was pretty good.

Something like Summer by Jay Bell
Slant: A Novel by Timothy Wang
"Finally Out: Letting Go of Living Straight, A Psychiatrist's Own Story" by Loren Olson
Older man Younger man by Joseph Dispenza

All of them are beautifully and eloquently written.

I really don't recall having read what you are calling glbt fiction. This doesn't I don't read i just attack it from a different direction. I find an author that enjoy and the I read everything that the write. Stephen King is an author like that. I have read everything he has written. I just started one of his latest it is simply called 11/22/63. one clue that was the day pres. Kennedy was shot and killed. Kurt Vonnegut is another,Edgar Allen Poe one of the older, Mark Twain is one of the BEST, there are so many more that come to mind, but I have one more I want to mention and that is William S. Burroughs who just happened to be gay before gay was cool. I have read two of his books Naked Lunch and Nova Express.. both are excellent.

Anything by Alex Sanchez( Author of The Rainbow Boys Series)

I reviewed a book titled HERO by Perry Moore. It was a pretty good book. The main character was a teen with superpowers who also happened to be gay. His dad was a retired very famous hero, and the fact that the kid was gay was a Big Deal. And no, the super power aspect is not cheesy in this book. It's actually pretty cool.

http://www.amazon.com/Hero-Perry-Moore/d...ero+gay+ya

Book summary:
Thom Creed is used to being on his own. Even as a highschool basketball star, he has to keep his distance because of his father. Hal Creed had once been one of the greatest and most beloved superheroes of The League--until the Wilson Towers incident. After that Thom's mother disappeared and his proud father became an outcast.

The last thing in the world Thom would ever want is to disappoint his father. So Thom keeps two secrets from him: First is that he's gay. The second is that he has the power to heal people. Initially, Thom had trouble controlling his powers. But with trail and error he improves, until he gets so good that he catches the attention of the League and is asked to join. Even though he knows it would kill his dad, Thom can't resist. When he joins the League, he meets a motely crew of other heroes, including tough-talking Scarlett, who has the power of fire from growing up near a nuclear power plant; Typhoid Larry, who makes everyone sick by touching them, but is actually a really sweet guy; and wise Ruth, who has the power to see the future. Together these unlikely heroes become friends and begin to uncover a plot to kill the superheroes.

Along the way, Thom falls in love, and discovers the difficult truth about his parents' past. This is a moving, funny, and wonderfully original novel that shows that things are not always what they seem, and love can be found in the unlikeliest of places.

for the romance and the old time quality (and the boldness for the times) MAURICE by E.M. Forster
for the sexiness and modernity THE SWIMMING POOL LIBRARY by Allan Hollinghurst.

hehe gonna add another 2 books to my prior collections here:

Me - by Ricky Martin
Tune In Tokyo: The Gaijin Diaries - by Tim Anderson (this book is pretty funny lol some serious lol moments xD)

When I Knew
Suicide Tuesday
The Rifter (a collection actually)

princealbertofb Wrote:for the romance and the old time quality (and the boldness for the times) MAURICE by E.M. Forster

Maurice was definitely my favourite gay (romance) book! I read it a year and a half ago when I was feeling down. I guess I read it at the perfect time cuz it was a great escape from my woes. It is an increadibly bold read as you say (especially considering when it was written - though published only much later).

spencer Wrote:Mysterious Skin is another that is legendary among my friend group.

mysterious skin makes me cry ...