Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your favorite gay/GLBT book?
sephirothtx Wrote:OMG, when i was still in highschool and just well, coming out techincally, i had this comic book, it looks like comic strips (like in a news paper) it was done in that style but it was a whole book, it was about two lesbians, their gay friend or possibly brother or something ,a child ,and a few other characters.

I loved it, unf an ex kind of stole it when we split and i haven't been able to contact her and i don't remember the friggin name of the books. I wish i could cause i would like to cause i'd like to hunt them down -.-

Does not sound like a Patrick Fillion creation.

AdrianMarcus Wrote:Anarchy of The Gods, by James Ash

I don't want to spoil the plot, but the book goes into great detail about the origin of man from an epic fantasy perspective. There are lots of gods, great descriptions of the powers, and the character detail is very well done.

Speaking about the characters:
Loved them! There were many gay characters. I was impressed with the author's portrayal of the gay characters too. There was no difference between the gay and straight ones. Gay really and truly felt completely normal in this book. There were both gay and straight heroes and villains too (so they weren't one dimensional - like all gay people are the same in some movies and books).

This book was recommended to me by a friend. I just got an ipad and loaded the kindle reader app onto it over x-mass and so far I have read a few books. Some friends and I have started a book club specifically in search of books that have gay characters or books by gay authors. This book really surprised me. I have been trying to find more books by this author, but he doesn't have a website or email contact inside his books like many others.

I don't think the author intended to write a book for gay audiences, or maybe he didn't have any specific audience in mind? Either way my friends and I tagged his book so it would appear in the gay fiction section of the amazon kindle books - *shrugs*.

The ending of the book says that it will be a series, but with no way to contact the author or research him I have no idea when he will release another book. So be forewarned if you're the type of reader that wants to be able to read an entire series straight through (might want to wait and buy it when all the books are released). My friend is currently climbing the walls and I've already read the book four times!

If anyone has heard of any books where the authors treat the characters in a similar way, please let me know via PM or whatever. This book has made me consider coming out to my friends and family. If more people like me who are afraid to tell the truth come out (I'm a medical doctor and I'm afraid it might hurt my practice, super religious family, the works) then maybe we can live in a world where being gay is no big deal. Like in the world this author created.

sorry for the long post, I just really loved this book. Thanks to this book this will be my first time admitting to anyone (other than the few guys I met in school) in a public setting that I am gay. :-)

Everything about that book sounds wonderful. I'll have to look into it next time I'm at the bookshop or use Amazon... I don't like it when fiction makes a strong distinction between its gay and straight characters.

Well most books by Poppy Z Brite have at least one gay character (most of the books are horror themed)

I will look that author up. I don't mind horror! I wish authors like Steven King, etc would take a chance and write novels with openly gay characters.

I don't like a distinction between gay and straight characters either. Why does being gay have to be any different than having green eyes, or whatever? Hopefully as more people become comfortable with coming out (not to sound like a hypocrite) more gay authors and artists will come by.

I know this isn't the place for this, so I will keep it brief, but was anyone else annoyed by the TV show Modern Family? I wanted to love it. I really did, but I have gay friends that are just as 'straight' as straight guys, and my bff that is a girl, well you would think she is a lesbian (she works on cars as a hobby, and I don't think I ever saw her in a dress.)

I also hate how they downplay real historical characters like Alexander the great, who was actually gay. If you hear about it, then him being gay is portrayed like a president having a fetish for collecting strange butterfiles.

I'm not sure if I'm really getting my point across, but I want to go to a mainstream movie sit down and have no idea if the characters are gay or straight, and have everyone love the Thor with a gay romance just as much as the straight one.

sorry for the ramble & thanks for the suggestion. I am going to look that author up.

I love the book Running with Scissors. It's so funny yet depressing at the same time.

Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult without a doubt. I love that book so much.

sugar rush by julie burchill ~
the tv series is better , but it's still pretty good ~

sweet by julie burchill ~
it's the sequel to the first novel (and the tv series , really) and focuses on the other character . she's very bisexual (although does call herself a dyke quite a lot .) but that's treated as just another part of her personality . she's wild . hah
i'd consider it a lgbt novel because , while the plot has other things going on , she spends most of her time figuring out how to find her ex-girlfriend , who she thinks she's still in love with ~

I am really enjoying the book I am reading right now: "366 Days" By Kiyoshi Tanaka
Anyone else read it?

I bought "Sing You Home" for my ipad after you suggested it, and it's in the list for my book-club now. I read the preview and some of the over 400 reviews, and it looks great! Steven King is one of my favourite authors, and he recommends it, so that's also a good sign. Thanks for the suggestion!

AdrianMarcus Wrote:I bought "Sing You Home" for my ipad after you suggested it, and it's in the list for my book-club now. I read the preview and some of the over 400 reviews, and it looks great! Steven King is one of my favourite authors, and he recommends it, so that's also a good sign. Thanks for the suggestion!

I hope you enjoy it! I really love the author and have read lots of her books. But this one is my fave by her.