Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your opinions on best actors in a single movie/role?
Jennifer Lawrence really was incredible in Silver Linings Playbook, I don't understand people's fury over her winning the Oscar; it was one of the more deserved in recent memory. Also, relatively recent performances that stand out are Christoph Waltz in Django Unchained, Reese Witherspoon in Walk the Line, Helen Mirren in The Queen, and Leonardo DiCaprio in The Aviator, Old school, I don't think anyone will ever top Bette Davis for Margo Channing in All About Eve as far as women. For the men, Peter Finch in Network is the gold standard. All that being said, has Streep ever given just an average performance? She's ridiculous.

partis Wrote:Heath ledger - Joker, it may be cliche but dont care
Christian bale - American psycho
Meryl streep - the iron lady
tom hanks - cast away
will feral - Anchorman
daniel day lewis - there will be blood
vince vaughn - the break-up
michael douglas - behind the candelabra

Im sorry, but you sir are indeed... homosexual!

The Iron Lady was everything. I would def be her bitch, I've already practiced how I'd submit if she were to walk in.

Ass up, head in the dirt! Already lubed >,>

I wanna watch it again now lol

Sylph Wrote:Im sorry, but you sir are indeed... homosexual!

Shhhhhhhh! :p

Meryl streep nailed that role !

Tim Curry in - well pretty much everything I have ever seen in him.

I think Tim Curry has been given a raw deal, always being neglected, the sheer diversity of his roles in his work is worthy of notice. He isn't like Jim Carrey who plays Jim Carrey in everything Jim Carrey, Tim Curry actually plays characters.

Pennywise the Clown: It takes a lot of work to ferret out who is the Actor. As the Devil in that tom Cruise Movie - who would have guessed it was Tim Curry?

He appears in a lot of films and hardly gets any recognition.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/celebrity/tim_...raphy.html lists the movies he has been in. He has a diverse portfolio, and so few awards.

I suspect what did his career in was the Rocky Horror Picture Show - He dared to depict anything less that straight and was punished for it. He is not the only actor who was punished for playing a decidedly LGBT character.

Only one reward he has won: http://www.aceshowbiz.com/celebrity/tim_...wards.html

That is shameful considering how much he has been in and how well he executed each role.

Evan88 Wrote:Rachel McAdams is an ignored actress. I like her a lot..

I liked her in 'Red Eye' and obv 'Mean Girls' ;]

Amanda Seyfried who is also in 'Mean Girls' is a fave of mine as well.

Oh and..

Ellen Page in 'Hard Candy'

Mh... I'm thinking about Cate Blanchett, she's always amazing, and also a lot of other people... I can start with these:

Anthony Hopkins - Hannibal Lecter - The Silence of Lambs
Jodie Foster - Clarice Starling - The Silence of Lambs
Katy Bathes - Annie Wilkes - Misery
Jack Nicholson - Jack Torrance - The Shining
Heath Ledger - The Joker - The Dark Knight
Peter Lorre - Hans Beckert - M
Christian Bale - Patrick Bateman - American Psycho
Edward Norton - Derek Viynard - American History X

Ok, I can see that I love the psychopathic characters...

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Tim Curry in - well pretty much everything I have ever seen in him.

I think Tim Curry has been given a raw deal, always being neglected, the sheer diversity of his roles in his work is worthy of notice. He isn't like Jim Carrey who plays Jim Carrey in everything Jim Carrey, Tim Curry actually plays characters.

O yes, I absolutely agree with you, Tim Curry is awesome and highly underrated! Smile
He was amazing in IT and a lesser known movie (thats one of my disney favorites) Muppet's Treasure island Smile

I was thinking about Tim Curry too, but I was undecided...Maybe between The Rocky Horror Picture Show or IT. I don't like him so much in more recent movies, but probably it depends so much of the quality of the character/movie...
Also Steve Buscemi is so good.

I only listed Mark Hamill before, so I'll have to add in one more here. Christopher Lee has to be my favorite villain actor of all time. As an added bonus, he was a badass before he even became an actor. He definitely rocks the Saruman role in all of the LotR films.

So, Im taking your assessment to mean what actors actually "made" a part they played? In other words, no one else could have ever done justice to that part???

Ok, I will prolly get crucified for this, but as much as Heath Ledger was good, he was NO "Joker"!!!
I do not think he made a good Joker at all.

And on that note.....here are my picks for some "perfect parts" I can remember:

Julie Andrews - Victor/Victoria
Michael Keaton - Batman
Jack Nicholson - Joker
Danny DeVito - Penguin
Christopher Reeve - Superman
Harrison Ford - Indiana Jones
Sigourney Weaver - Ellen Ripley
Tom Hulce - Amadeus
Tim Allen - Santa Claus
Charleton Heston - Planet of the Apes/The Ten Commandments/Ben Hur
Roddy McDowell - anything he's ever done
Doris Day - anything she's ever done
Barbra Streisand - Yentl
Christina Ricci - Wednesday Addams
Anjelica Houston - Morticia Addams and The Witch
Sissy Spacek - Loretta Lynn
Angela Basset - Tina Turner
Jody Foster - The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane
Edward Norton - American History X
Tim Curry - Dr. Frankenfurter and plenty of his other stuff too
(Im with Bowyn on my feelings for Tim....)
and
Vincent Price as The Abominable Dr. Phibes