Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a$$ backwards VA :(
there's still a lot of bigots in this area, when same sex marriage was legalized here a couple clerks refused to issue marriage licenses to the newly weds. I think it's the massive amount of churches we have here making sure the ignorant hate stays around, there's literally a church on every street here, SERIOUSLY, I live down a dead end street two miles long and there's a church on our street. this week a church decided the message they wanted in their sign was "Remember, Satan was the first to demand equal rights". then to make it more confusing when asked about it the pastor of the church said that it was not directed at any group of people.

http://wavy.com/2015/06/17/chesapeake-ch...ntroversy/

Just wanted to vent a tiny bit, coming out has been on my mind a lot lately but I might move to a more progressive city/state first.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

I suggest that everyone here click the link and then vote yes in the poll at the bottom of the story. That way the pastor will become even more defensive and show his true colors.

And ceez, don't take it too hard. The goofball preacher is just bragging that a member of his family came up with an original idea.
I bid NO Trump!

"SO your not a bigot, you just believe certain groups of people are sub-human degenerates that don't deserve the same rights and opportunities as everyone else" or "I'm not a bigot, i just happen to follow and agree with a religion that specifically persecutes and denigrates this specific group of people for no real good reason at all, and choose to focus solely on that part of the religion" That must be the line of "logic" there fowling, I just don't think there honest enough with themselves to admit it.

This kind of crap is the reason why religion is losing so many of it's followers.....

...and not attracting nearly enough new recruits....

Actually, East, I may be inclined to think that the fundies are gaining support because of this sort of utterance and the mainline churches, which are perhaps a bit more balanced are losing members.

Still, you may be right.

It is extremely painful to have been brought up in a thoughtful religious tradition which valued moderation and considered deep thought respectfully and then to see this kind of nonsense ruling the headlines.

Did you hear Marco Rubio today? EEEEEEK!
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:Actually, East, I may be inclined to think that the fundies are gaining support because of this sort of utterance and the mainline churches, which are perhaps a bit more balanced are losing members.

Still, you may be right.

It is extremely painful to have been brought up in a thoughtful religious tradition which valued moderation and considered deep thought respectfully and then to see this kind of nonsense ruling the headlines.

Did you hear Marco Rubio today? EEEEEEK!

I probably would have been religious...if it wasn't for a lot of the religious people I saw....

The God I know isn't anything like the one they talk about. ...and it would frighten me to spend eternity with those clowns....

AS for Rubio...I try not to pay attention to any of them...too depressing to think that they are legitimate choices for Republicans...makes me want to take a bath just looking at them...

ceez Wrote:this week a church decided the message they wanted in their sign was "Remember, Satan was the first to demand equal rights". then to make it more confusing when asked about it the pastor of the church said that it was not directed at any group of people.

Whenever a religionist trots out any argument relating to Satan just gently remind them that God created Satan, and god has a plan for everyone. Therefore everything Satan does is part of God's plan Smile

ceez Wrote:there's still a lot of bigots in this area, when same sex marriage was legalized here a couple clerks refused to issue marriage licenses to the newly weds. I think it's the massive amount of churches we have here making sure the ignorant hate stays around, there's literally a church on every street here, SERIOUSLY, I live down a dead end street two miles long and there's a church on our street. this week a church decided the message they wanted in their sign was "Remember, Satan was the first to demand equal rights". then to make it more confusing when asked about it the pastor of the church said that it was not directed at any group of people.

http://wavy.com/2015/06/17/chesapeake-ch...ntroversy/

Just wanted to vent a tiny bit, coming out has been on my mind a lot lately but I might move to a more progressive city/state first.

Tell me about it. I live in Charleston, SC (aka the "Holy City" because of the VAST number of churches we have...), and I am sure you have heard about the 21 year old, racist gunman who killed 9 people during church service day-before-yesterday (including our Democratic State Senator, who was the church pastor...).
I actually wanted to become a Monk up until my mid-teen....lol
~Beaux

Beaux Wrote:Tell me about it. I live in Charleston, SC (aka the "Holy City" because of the VAST number of churches we have...), and I am sure you have heard about the 21 year old, racist gunman who killed 9 people during church service day-before-yesterday (including our Democratic State Senator, who was the church pastor...).
I actually wanted to become a Monk up until my mid-teen....lol
~Beaux

Is it bad that I'm starting to lack sympathy for church people? I know what happened was awful but I don't feel the same sympathy for them like I do if there's a school shooting. They're just so fake and it's the reason why a lot of my younger relatives stopped going to church.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

ceez Wrote:Is it bad that I'm starting to lack sympathy for church people? I know what happened was awful but I don't feel the same sympathy for them like I do if there's a school shooting. They're just so fake and it's the reason why a lot of my younger relatives stopped going to church.
I understand where your coming from, but they are still "technically" human beings and until they themselves harm another person, I think deserve at least the bare minimum amount of empathy( maybe about 7% of your empathy if your generous :biggrin: )