Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a situation on the bus?
I don't believe anyone riding on a bus is entitled to anything.

I paid for my ticket,
and if I find a seat I'm going to take it.

I'd only give it up for someone who was clearly handicap.

The old man did nothing wrong,
in my opinion.

I wouldn't give up my seat to someone with kids either.

Why?

Just because they've never been graced by the presence of a condom,
doesn't give them moral jurisdiction in taking my seat.

It's not my problem,
or responsibility to cater to a stranger's parental status.

Don't like it?
Get a car!
Can't afford a car?
Well, you should've thought about that
before you chose to have ten kids.

@Dreamer nice comment Tongue

And I think eldery people should get the priority because they are weaker .. I'm always in favour of the weaker of two sides .. even when I play PVP games and I am matched against weaker opponets, I try to give them some chance by playing a character im not familiar with or trying to handicap myself skill-wise ("i wont use THIS skill at all") ...
eh ... ok too much unrelevant information here o.O u may ignore me Big Grin

Yep, situations like this is why I stay up even if there's a few sits left...I know I'll eventually have to get up to give the sit, and while I have no problem in doing so there are a few elderly people who cannot act nice about it...so I just avoid the overall situation

Ok, if the elder was not physically weak due to age (not like he was 90)... then he should have moved out of politeness at the very least, if the seats were indeed meant for parents with kids on prams.

Now seeming how the guy was a 20 something, is it that unthinkable to ask the elder if he can fit the pram, but remain in his seat?

I don't know culturally how things are like over there, but over here when there's a situation of a young parent and an eldery the only one who can possibly give up the seat, it's weird for the parent to ask for the seat, but instead the elderly usually offers to take the kid on their lap or something with him/her, while the parent remains standing next to them..no one seems to have a problem with that despite being strangers

I think it is dependent on ability.

While an old guy may look fit as a fiddle and able, the reality may be there are underlying conditions that prevent him from actually surviving the walk to the back of the bus.

One fall can severely wreck an elderly person's life. A broken hip is a death sentence to many old people. Bus drivers in America rarely if ever sit at the stop waiting for everyone to take a seat. A lurching bus for an old person attempting to make it to a new seat could result in a fall, a broken hip and a shortened life.

Most likely the older guy would have moved for a woman, this is what a gentleman does and older guys are still half in the stone age when it comes to the fair (weaker) sex. Yes I know in the modern age of equality this is a quaint mindset.

Yes most likely the old guy would get up for a person in a wheel chair - its an ability thing. Wheels trump heart conditions.... Its a complex logic.

The order has been, Ladies first, then the elder/disabled, then healthy young men (with or without a baby pram).

The old man was absolutely correct to have stayed put. Someone in their twenties (baby or no baby, male or female) should be ashamed to ask an elderly person to move. Besides, if you intend on taking your baby on public transportation you should choose a stroller that is as least obtrusive as possible. This is one of my biggest pet peeves, when able bodied people do not give seats up to people who are obviously disabled or the elderly. Having a baby does not place someone on par with the elderly and disabled, it just means that you chose to procreate.

some elderly people are able bodied , too . if i was old then i would find it very offensive if people constantly assumed that i couldn't do certain things and needed to be treated differently.

and not everyone who has a baby chose to procreate.

There are also a lot of people that deliberately sit there and couldn't care less if someone needed the priority seat.... even now, 6 1/2 months pregnant, I regularly have to stand on the bus and train. People elbowing me and stuff when the breaks are on... I mean, what if someone fell into me...

I personally think the old man should have moved. There isn't much room for pushchairs on the bus and it would be better for everyone else, including the two involved.... however, if the child was a todler or something, when I used to take my son out, i'd fold up the push chair and have him on my lap/seat next to me.

But... if the old man had said that he needed the seat. Then I would completely understand. He doesn't have to say why, because that's his business... however... there are the push chair sections.... and the front 4 seats of the back bit are also priority seats. So if one of those were to be free, then i think the old man could sit there. Just for the fact that there would be less obstruction from the pushchair.