Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
abandoned animals
We got our dog from a divorced couple. Apparently only one of them wanted it, but his work (travelling) didn't leave room for a dog. I vividly remember her sad howling at night, when we first got her. She clearly missed her old owners. So sad. Now she's happy with us and we love her, so all is good.

I don't feel much pity for people but I can cry my eyes out about unhappy animals.

Cuddly Wrote:We got our dog from a divorced couple. Apparently only one of them wanted it, but his work (travelling) didn't leave room for a dog. I vividly remember her sad howling at night, when we first got her. She clearly missed her old owners. So sad. Now she's happy with us and we love her, so all is good.

how long did it take for her to not be sad anymore and adapt to you?
and how long had she been with her previous owners?

meridannight Wrote:how long did it take for her to not be sad anymore and adapt to you?
and how long had she been with her previous owners?

It took her a few weeks to really open come out of her shell. When we got her she seemed very shy and quiet. She's the polar opposite now.

The sad wailing she did at night only happened a few times. I don't remember if it happened the first night, but it definately happened somewhere in the first two weeks.

My guess is that the owners had her since puppy, and she was 2.5 years (or so) when we got her, so they probably had her for 2 years and 4 months.
We've had her for 3 years now.

I work in animal control so I deal with this problem everyday, and yes, part of my job includes preparing animals for euthanization. It's tough, but when I lay my head down at night I know I've done everything that I can. I make every attempt to get as many adopted as possible, but it's impossible to save them all. The root of the problem is people refusing to spay and neuter their pets. I can't count how many times I've heard owners of male dogs say "no way I'm getting his nuts cut off", they act like their dog isn't part of the problem. Rolleyes

I don't like it when someone abandons an animal.