Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
assignment XD
ok well here's the deal

I am planning on coming out to all my friends at school and I am planning to do it during English for my "persuasive speech" task and my topic is...homophobia is gay...(the name wasnt my idea i saw a video on you tube it is really sad...look it up)

now i have this idea...but so far i have no idea what to talk about i need statistics and true stories and stuff that will help change the minds of intolerant fuck-wits to realize that we are no different from anyone else.

if you could help that would be awesome Smile

Very brave!

There are an almost infinite variety of stories and statistics out there, all at least allegedly true. Given that you have only a limited time to speak I think that you need to carefully think about what your audience currently believe and what might change their minds.

In my experience most people are persuaded far more by stories than by statistics, however if you want/need to include statistics you can mention them at relevant points in your stories, it helps minimise the boredom factor associated with statistics.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I know a book that details the sort of traumas inflicted in the US Army over the years but I dont know if its specifically relevent to your needs. People do tend to respond with more empathy to stories but statistics can be good help in underlining a point methinks. There are several books that you could pull stories out of but if you arent getting too in depth I know that wikipedia has links to news stories and hte like concerning hate crimes and statistics (there should be a hub for hate crimes and such related specifically to LGBT matters). Wikipedia itself isnt considered citeable generally but I find its a good gateway to information that is.

I wish you well my friend, hope everything works out for you.Knuddel

woo i finished my speech and it looks pretty good. if you guys want a look let me know aye Smile

charliemonster93 Wrote:woo i finished my speech and it looks pretty good. if you guys want a look let me know aye Smile

Why dont you post it here. I am sure we will all tell you how amazing your speech is :biggrin:

Yeah you should post it here. I wish I thought of something like that when I was in high school. People found out I was gay in the 7th grade when someone I had sex with told everyone. Yet, the person who told everyone wasn't gay! I wonder to this day what he said to everyone! I truly came out at 21.

But good luck.