Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best city : first time UK visitor !!
Just a few thoughts of mine. Edinburgh is a truly wonderful city but it is Expensive, and not best placed for seeing a great deal of Britain.

The map you linked to is somewhat old and lacking in details. Here is a much better and fully up to date map.

Manchester is an excellent city, for many of the reasons already listed. I don't know Liverpool but I would advise against it because it is on the coast, there are fewer places close to it than Manchester. Also if you are travelling a bit further afield from Liverpool, at least by train then you will very likely need to travel via Manchester. I don't know Leeds well as a city but it is well connected and in the fair county of Yorkshire.

Good Luck
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Quote:newcastle.becase it is museam and that and nice.and it is castles aswel i went to anick castle and dunsonbuer.an the beach
actually most of Britains seems to be a museum, a one that is a bit diffcult to get around Confusedmile:
Newcastle upon Tyne ! at first i thought it was a different city nearby Laugh1

Quote:I think we all know i'm going to say Edinburgh, what with it being made of awesome in every way. It's got more cultural things to do than i had to full appreciate in my 18 years of living there and sweet, friendly people (just like me hehe).
I have wanted to see the Scotish castles since the time i read The Life and Times of Scrroge Mcduck , it was my best comic series when i was a child,
the series name was ( The Youth of Uncle Goldy ) in arabic Baby2.Confusedmile:

Quote:Manchester is an excellent city, for many of the reasons already listed. I don't know Liverpool but I would advise against it because it is on the coast, there are fewer places close to it than Manchester. Also if you are travelling a bit further afield from Liverpool, at least by train then you will very likely need to travel via Manchester. I don't know Leeds well as a city but it is well connected and in the fair county of Yorkshire.

Good Luck
Thank you Fred for the map and advice. Now I think i will go for Manchester.

joseph Wrote:newcastle.becase it is museam and that and nice.and it is castles aswel i went to anick castle and dunsonbuer.an the beach

LEts add it has the best night life in the northeast. Its imense! well worth the visit if you liek to party!

Come to leicester! We accept anyone here belive me Big Grin

I can show you around all the gay places and i virtually live in the country anyway and i work in the country so i no many country like places! + we have easy links to other big cities, via train, bus and coach! Theres even east midlands airport down the road!

Though I am from Liverpool, I would advise Manchester for the gay scene and for the travel connections by public transport. But Manchester is not a very attractive city in itself. If you have a car Liverpool is a better bet, it's easier to get into the countryside and easier to travel around by car and the air is better in Liverpool, as it's by the sea. Manchester is an awful place to travel around in a car: the traffic is so bad there. In August you should go to Edinburgh for the Festival.
Incidentally Manchester and Liverpool are only 30 minutes apart by car and Glasgow and Edinburgh are similarly very close to one another.

Peter,

I don't know Liverpool so I will not get into a which is better arguement. However, central Manchester is, in my opinion, a rather attractive city with some lovely Victorian Buildings, some innovative new buildings and fewer 60s monstrosities than might be feared. Didsbury, Chorlton and Prestwich are all attractive suburbs. I recently moved to Manchester from the countryside and I have not noticed a problem with the air. I don't find the traffic in Manchester to be a particular problem. Neither do I find the traffic to be worse than any big city. The edges of Manchester and Liverpool are about 30 minutes away from each other, centre to centre takes a bit longer.
Fred

peterinmalaga Wrote:In August you should go to Edinburgh for the Festival.

Yes, but if cost is a consideration then be very careful all the hotels and restaurants price gouge in August because the whole city is so oversubscribed.

Best find a friend who can put you up. So long as the friend hasn't left the city for the month!

Central Manchester is, in my opinion, a rather attractive city with some lovely Victorian Buildings, some innovative new buildings and fewer 60s monstrosities than might be feared.
Liverpool has more Victorian buildings than any other city in Europe (honestly) and Liverpool has some beautiful eighteenth century buildings and all those fabulous neo-Classical buildings.

Didsbury, Chorlton and Prestwich are all attractive suburbs. I recently moved to Manchester from the countryside and I have not noticed a problem with the air.
Liverpool has trendy Aigburth next to the river with beautiful Sefton Park nearby surrounded by Victorian mansions and the estates of the owners of the shipping lines – now public parks. There's also Woolton on the hill and Formby by the sea. Notice the recurrence of the words “sea” and "river", Fred? That's where you get cleaner air than you'll ever find in the countryside, let alone Manchester city centre.

I don't find the traffic in Manchester to be a particular problem.
You don't know the notorious A6 then or the M56 or M62 to name but three roads where the traffic frequently comes to a standstill for loooooong periods of time.

Neither do I find the traffic to be worse than any big city.
But you don't know Liverpool, where the traffic flow was computerised in the 80s and has never stopped moving since.

The edges of Manchester and Liverpool are about 30 minutes away from each other, centre to centre takes a bit longer.
Yes but when you live in Liverpool and want to go to Manchester for the gay scene, you don't leave home before 10.00 pm by which time there is very little traffic on the roads.

Sudanese, I did mention Leeds... I quite like it. Multicultural with an air of that Northern England... But I don't know how popular it is. I've never had to live there.

peterinmalaga Wrote:Notice the recurrence of the words “sea” and "river", Fred? That's where you get cleaner air than you'll ever find in the countryside, let alone Manchester city centre.
The Mersey is an estuary by the time it reaches Liverpool. Its quite nice as a river running through the Mersey valley in Manchester. I'll stick to Lake District fell tops for really fresh air.

peterinmalaga Wrote:I don't find the traffic in Manchester to be a particular problem.
You don't know the notorious A6 then or the M56 or M62 to name but three roads where the traffic frequently comes to a standstill for loooooong periods of time.

I may be stupid, but I am not that stupid. I am well aware of those roads. They are frankly a regional transport problem, those of us who actually live in Manchester (as opposed to somewhere in its vicinity) generally don't have to use those roads at rush hour.
Fred