Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cloned cards
Hi everyone,
I have been a victim, which doesn't come easily, seems that the cyber thieves have gone to cloning your debit or credit cards by putting readers at atm machines or at stores where you may shop. Works like this, if it is an atm card they use a camera to record your password as well as a reader to clone your cards magnetic strip info, if a credit card just the magnetic info. Word is, if the card feels like in is going in to a reader with more firction than you have felt in similar machines hit the decline button but also inform your bank that there may by a problem. If you are using a atm card that requires a password always shield your entry of password with your other hand. I lost 200 dollars due to this fraud, JimCry
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

awwgh, that sucks big time... hope some how you gain your money back Smile and thanks for the info.

A good programme to watch is The Real Hustle on BBC3 as it shows you stuff like this, some of the stuff is amazing and so easily mistaken by the public to be ligit. I'v seen some of the episodes where it has shown you what has baisically happend to you. luckly for the people that get scammed on the show get there money back at the end... Hopefully your on the show and you'll get it back Smile

James, sorry to hear about your bad news, did the bank help and refund the money or did they just say to be careful next time.

Even when you go shopping and use your card can be dangerous. Some shop employees have been known to clone or keep a record of your card details, this usually happens when they take the card away to process the card for payment. You only notice the fraud when and if you check your card payments.

I fought for my money for 4 months and got it back, but thats not the point, try to be aware if something doesn't feel right back off, there is always another day, Jim

Jim you think any of the two happend to you?

Wow! I've not seen this programme. Thanks, D5.

Sorry you were caught out, Jim.

[COLOR="Purple"]That is terrible Jim. Four months to fight to get your $200 back is ridicules. Thanks for the tips.

Years ago I got in a bit of trouble using credit cards so now I only use cash. I just have to remember to put different amounts of cash in diff pockets etc.[/COLOR]

Problem is you have TWO thieves here: the card-cloner and the bank. It's best to check your legal rights before going to the bank to demand repayment. It's their machine and therefore their fault. In the UK check with Citizens' Advice.

peterinmalaga Wrote:...In the UK check with Citizens' Advice.
All the times over all these years I have ever used C.A.B. they have never come up with a useful solution to any of my questions.

Hi D5, could have been either used a bank atm I normally don't go to and bought some alcohol at a bussiness I normally don't use, before that was a week and a half of non-use so probably one of the two, Jim