Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cookie disaster
live about 5000 feet ( 1520 meters ) altitude so i normally dont bake that much but tried to make some cookiesFiredevil

via the mighty Googles ( simple cookie recopies ) the recipe:
2 3/4 cups (.65liter) flour
1 cup (.24 liter) butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups (.35 liter) sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
bake 8-10 min @ 375F (190c)
each cookie was 1.5 tablespoon (22ml) //a small amount

well the first try it tasted ok but the cookies melted, all ran together on the sheet. looked like it needed more flour so i about doubled the amount and the next batch stayed separate but didnt taste as good and still were kinda thin 1/4" ( 7mm ) thick and they stuck a little to the un greased pan

anyone have a higher altitude recipe, dont think it matters for cookies tho
what went bad here? assume the amounts and temperature were correct.

Not sure that altitude had anything to do with it, although probably the heat would be slightly different. You need to leave ample space for each cookie on the sheet, even ungreased, if you don't want the cookies to run into each other. Something some people do is put the dough to refrigerate. did you do that, so it gets harder then they roll out a little bit of dough into a ball and place the balls on the cooking sheet far enough apart. Maybe it's what you need to do.

Good luck with your next batch... Actually a greased and floured surface for the cooking might have helped contain the cookies a bit more too...

great tips posted already Smile
I agree. maybe you needed to rest the dough in the fridge.
Also, I usually use cooking paper under the cookie dough so it comes off clean. (or was it foil...cant remember)

But I do think the extra flor was what made the taste not so good.

I put the cookie dough in the fridge over night. Ill try again this afternoon. they were so to thin for my liking too

anyone got another recipe they like, what the heck