Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
diffrent words
Huh?REALLY?Where did you hear that Shadz?Love the new avatar btw.

Shadow Wrote:Another example of an insult in American that means something completely harmless in English is "cracker".

To us, a cracker is a biscuit that you put either butter and/or cheese (and sometimes other things) on ... or something that you have around the table at Christmas that you pull and which contains a prize - a "Christmas Cracker".

In America, however, I believe the term is a rude way of describing a white person ... ??

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!
"Cracker" was also a term used to describe a stunningly beautiful woman (back when I were a lad, of course Wink). More recently, of course, you may have encountered cracking good cheese (Wallace and Gromit) and it's still rude to call someone "crackers".

Dan1089 Wrote:Huh?REALLY?Where did you hear that Shadz?Love the new avatar btw.

Thanks broeder :biggrin: - Baby Smurlos said it reminded him of me, so I thought I'd pop it on, on that basis ... and please do tell me if I've got that word wrong :redface: Lol2. I've heard it on a number of movies and things ... like they use it in Cradle 2 the Grave ...

marshlander Wrote:"Cracker" was also a term used to describe a stunningly beautiful woman (back when I were a lad, of course Wink). More recently, of course, you may have encountered cracking good cheese (Wallace and Gromit) and it's still rude to call someone "crackers".

Indeed !! Or corker - that's another one. And yeah good points - I'd forgotten about those ... but calling somebody crackers in England is now kinda ... well ... much less insulting to us than cracker is in America I think ... :redface:.

Bighug.

xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

i got another one peple not say poorly in america just sick.

Hmm...I don't know about that one Jo.Poorly is not just used to convey ill health but to also express a bad performance.

Dan1089 Wrote:Hmm...I don't know about that one Jo.Poorly is not just used to convey ill health but to also express a bad performance.

I think joseph was thinking only in terms of health and not wealth (or performance)...

There is another one joseph mentioned. Chips or Crisps.

In the USA Chips are called potato chips and are flat crunchy snacks. We dont use crisps for food at all here. We also have french fries which I believe are British "chips" :confused:

Yup, indeed they are - we have chips (your French Fries) and crisps (your Potato Chips).

Let me think of another one ...

Ooh ! Custard.

We had some American friends over recently, and they had no idea what Custard was ... we were appalled, and force-fed them a can Lol2.

Custard is LUSH.

:biggrin:.

xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

isnt custard a thick egg based desert kind of thing?

and what does LUSH mean, LOL.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT !!

:biggrin:

Custard is a served as either a topping for cakes and pies (usually crumbles and things you have to eat with a spoon), or if it's thickened and hardened ("Confectioner's Custard") as a filling for certain cakes - Custard Slices (a variation of Mille-Feuille, aka the "Cream Slice"), Custard Horns, even Egg Custard ...

Custard rools.

... and lush ? It's just a slang word meaning really tasty Wink.

xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Dan1089 Wrote:Very interesting read Marshlander.In SA,we use UK grammar and words but we sometimes use both words e.g. hood/bonnet and trunk/boot.There other words that not the same as American e.g. We call them robots = traffic lights,barbeque = braai.I never got why they call petrol,gas,Another word that differs from region to region is "cellphone".

Gas is short for "gasoline"