Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
do you believe in fate ?
probably not. Life is a series of roads and we occasioanlly come to forks. We choose our paths and our destiny is influenced by our choices.

"Who knows" is the only rational response, but I voted "no". I do not believe in fate on any level. Good things happen to bad people, and bad things happen to good people. Very smart people who study conciousness tend to suggest that there is no such thing as free will. That's hard for me to accept.

I believe in free will and personal responsibility. I have no desire to live in a world governed by predetermined fate.

a) if it's meant to be, it's meant to be.

b) possibly, somethings can happen as long as you try to make it happen

those are my two takes on fate

I believe in fate a lot. I'm a hopeless romantic.
It's fate that brings people together and makes good things happen.

But it is alright if others don't believe in it, after all, everybody is entitled to their own opinions.

Nope...no such thing as fate

people confuse coincidences, fate, and even the religious version of it : divine providence or whatever with statistical probabilities and the Law of Large Numbers...

to me it's nonesense but I don't mind when other people like to think fate had something to do, Idk, with finding a loved one or whatever, cause it's psychologically healthy to believe in that.

I does bother me when people use fate as an excuse to follow on a detrimental behavior like the person has no free will or desicion capabilities.. I'm just reminded of how many fascists dictators were called "the man send by providence"...ugh...

other than that, people are entitled to their own opinion and beleifs

I don't believe in fate as such - I do believe everything will go tits up for me no matter I try to do,,, and when it does I don't feel so bad Smile guess that is kind of fate lol

To a degree everyone is a victim of fate/destiny.

For instance - everyone is going to die - no one escapes that - they are fated/destined to die.

Somethings are just going to happen - its your destiny. A good deal of stuff one can plan for and even change the course of through rational thinking.

I believe most humans are reactionary, thus react to whatever is happening and that leads to a certain amount of predictable outcomes which appear to be 'fated'. However humans also have a rational, critical thinking part of their brain and they can break a chain, they can change the course of their situation and 'break' out of a fated consequence.

Not in all things. No man is an island, we are all affected by the actions and reactions of everyone around us. No single event takes place isolated from the rest of the universe - thus your actions/reactions and fate may actually rest in the decisions of reactionary human beings - thus you are destined to X because you have no control over other human beings.

I believe that every action has a reaction, there is cause and effect and that pretty much limits the outcome of most situations. If one steps off a tall building one is going to fall - you are destined/fated to fall if you step off a tall building. And chances are rather high that the sudden stop is going to not end well for one.

However one can pretty much choose not to step off that tall building. Of course one has no choice in the matter if someone decides to push you.

Nope but I feel unlucky about 'occasions'.
Otherwise I try to change bad situations and do my best.

Anything is possible. That all I can say.

A predisposition towards a certain life exists.

For example, I was statistically most likely to become a blue collar level worker, with a low critical thinking level, with catholic beliefs, and a family.

But being gay changed my ability to be satisfied with that life, as it changed my perspective and "woke me up", leading me to question everything I'd ever been taught to believe. As a result I fought against that "Fate". But it's still there, it's still weird to people that I'm different. For example, my father once said "You can go through life kicking and screaming, but it doesn't have to be like that.", when I wouldn't accept the direction that my life was expected to head down.

Fate is the expectation, the predisposition. This is our environment.

The kicking and screaming is our ability to challenge fate. This is our temperament, or nature.

Perhaps you have heard the "Nature versus nurtue" argument, in which it is posited that environmental factors combine with an individual's temperament to create a person.

Fate is the same way ---- with a correct temperament, an individual can influence his or her environment --- which is something that as LGBT individuals, we've spent our whole lives doing already.

Yes --- fate exists, though it's not mystical or magical, and perhaps because of that, fate can be changed.