Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dont know what to call this.
dfiant Wrote:The words gay and fag and whatever other slang term for poofters don't bother me in the slightest.

The word HATE pisses me off no end because of the hurt and emotion behind it.

In life i have four catergories

Neautral

Dislike

Hate

You get in the HATE catergory you find you are more or less stuck there... Only got one person in that box in my life for trying to destroy my home....

When people make sweeping statements, one way to challenge their thinking is to ask them to name ONE!
Example
Your mate: I hate fags!
You: Ok then, name one!
Your mate: .......................????
if he can answer, then ask him why he hates that particular person. Make him understand that one person does not make a group... and that putting everyone in the same group on account of something that one person has done that he dislikes is not very logical or reasonable. Can you now tell him that you're gay but certainly NOT a fag?

i agree with you there prince I personally have the attitude if you dont liker what you see dont look and walk on... I do you no harm and you shouldnt do me no harm...

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:I prefer it over the use of the word 'gay' as a negative.

Gay in a negative 'That car is so gay!' 'that music is so gay!'

At least fag you know the feelings of the person, with the gay word being used as a negative you can't be certain if the person is actually against homosexuals or is just using the latest slang.

I wouldn't come out to these 'friends' and in all honesty I wouldn't remain friends with them - I would have left the first time they opened up their mouth and aired their views on any minority with a negative word.

There is a saying 'Birds of a feather flock together'. If you stick around these people and they air their views, people will assume that you share those views as well.

I get your point for self preservation and self esteem reasons, Bowyn... on the other hand it sometimes might help if they understand that there is one of these allegedly hated people in their group. It really depends on how ready to challenge their own beliefs they are, and basically on how intelligent their human skills are.

Their reaction could go two ways, either rejection or acceptation on the grounds that he's not so bad after all... someone they actually know and is not a threat to them. Now that's challenging. Wink

I try not to let any of it bother me. Such negative people! Let them have their issues

I've said Fag a lot in my life. I've been friends with people who say Fag a lot, and still am/do.

For my own personal feelings, I don't care. I'm bi, or in some people's eyes just gay, but fag doesn't bother me. I'm really hard to insult though, I'll call myself a faggot.

But, when it comes to other gay/bi people, I make it a point not to say things like that until I know how they feel about those types of words and insults. And even if I find out they don't mind, I don't usually say it much. I just feel...it's one of those things. Maybe it'd be better if I didn't say it at all, but eh. I try not to make it a point to offend anyone. If I accidentally do, I apologize and remember not to say it around that person again.

This is an interesting problem, because logically I know that when people use “fag” and “gay” in that manner, they don’t really point directly at a homosexual anymore, just as the term “bitch” usually just means “bitch” not “female dog”.
Maybe I am too optimistic here, but just as the term “bitch” somehow morphed into sometimes referring to strong opinionated women in a good way, maybe “fag” and “gay” will start carrying new better meanings too.

I also think that although the people using the words are the ones at fault, if you haven’t come out to them, it’s hard to expect them to not use that term in their conversation. Now, if they still use that in a derogatory manner after you tell them that you are gay, then that’s a different story.

i have to admit reading zacks post that when im driving down the road i am with my bf mostly and we drive by say a few gay lads and as habit go poofs but not so they can hear us just an observation note

It's all about personal preference really and how easily offended people are. In terms of being politically incorrect yeah saying fag or using the word gay in a derogatory way is wrong but I'm sure everyone has said "oh that's gay" or something like that before. Personally It takes a lot to offend me and something like that doesn't even hit my radar.

mrk2010 Wrote:It's all about personal preference really and how easily offended people are. In terms of being politically incorrect yeah saying fag or using the word gay in a derogatory way is wrong but I'm sure everyone has said "oh that's gay" or something like that before. Personally It takes a lot to offend me and something like that doesn't even hit my radar.

I know if someone tells me im a big raving homo or calls me a faggot or something like that if I know them i usually say well state the obvious and if i dont know them i just say.... You should try it before you dis respect it...