Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
english words that dont sound english
Do you ever see or hear an english word but when you take another look it doesnt seem english at all....

Like "BOSS"

The more i look at that word, the less english (laungage) it seems.

Theres loads more... i guess when you take away the meaning of a word, its just a jumble of letters that make a sound.

No french words please...

Cliché, déjà vu, coup d'état, café

You're welcome Smile

potatoes.

Whats that all about then LoL

ObW
X

Story of my life lol.

Everytime I type out anything, I have to check to make sure it makes sense, because words we use or say, may not be english or the right translation;

"Don't come lemme Pick you" which is to say "Don't make me hit you"

So to me, when I see the word "Pick" my first instinct is to think of Hit, same for Licks, it also means Hits. But then I have to think in the standard form which is to Choose/make a choice.

So alot of English words to me are odd when I read them out of my local context.

Sting/Stingin- Hitting or Moving Fast
Europe - Vomit
Dopey-Silly/clowny

lol a funny sentence to me would be like "I'm going to Europe" , I'd read that as "I'm going to Vomit" Rofl

I always question the integrity of words >.> despite knowing alot of them lol I'm never always sure.

Ekwarph Wrote:Cliché, déjà vu, coup d'état, café

You're welcome Smile

Ballet, brunette, belle, clique, etc etc, damn french stop invading us :p

OlderButWiser Wrote:potatoes.

Whats that all about then LoL

ObW
X

Good one ObW... :p you "get" my thread!

partis Wrote:Do you ever see or hear an english word but when you take another look it doesnt seem english at all....

Like "BOSS"

The more i look at that word, the less english (laungage) it seems.

Theres loads more... i guess when you take away the meaning of a word, its just a jumble of letters that make a sound.

No french words please...

Every day when I read the internet I find words I thought I knew how to spell, but the past few years they have been bastardized and more often than not misspelled intentionally by forum kiddies who think it's cool. (get off my lawn you damn kids!)

I will admit that sometimes I get a word stuck in my head and it just seems so foreign even if I've used it hundreds of times. It'll just strike me as odd that it's even a word.

I'm in Europe! :p

So is that cos "Europe" sounds like your word for vomit or cause you guys just "hate" europe and europeans.

Ps - when i was a kid i thought europe was another country, it cames as a bit of a shock when i found out i was european, thats not even a funny.

well, the word Europe is Greek, hence obviously it doesn't sound English Confusedmile:

and for the record, it's not just you, Britain has been trying to not get involved with all those uncivilized Europeans *cough*French*cough* *cough*Germans*cough*

Rofl

partis Wrote:I'm in Europe! :p

So is that cos "Europe" sounds like your word for vomit or cause you guys just "hate" europe and europeans.

Ps - when i was a kid i thought europe was another country, it cames as a bit of a shock when i found out i was european, thats not even a funny.

I actually don't even know.

It's said - Yuh-Rup but emphasized Yaaw-Rup, so it sounds like Europe, but to spell it for you lot, it would be spelled like Europe since it's the closest spelling and more universally understood.

Like I would post on Facebook "Oh eh eh, dats nasty, Umma Europe"

Not sure if it's cause of the tension between us and Eng-of-land, but it's been around for years. Could very well be because of that, I mean, don't forget Slavery here wasn't all that long ago, and even in my Nana's day, and she's only 55, did we have segregation and the like. And Mother England did colonize and bring people here from Africa, so I wouldn't be surprised if the word stuck for that reason lol.

Don't worry, I remember a word used for Americans(or anyone who tended to be disliked) was Shit-Bibblers, but it's gone out of use.

We don't hate Americans or Europeans, but I suppose historically we've been shat on by both, and don't wanna be associated with either.

I personally really don't care, I don't like the History of what happened, but I don't hate no one :\