Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
excersize
so i believe my gut is getting to big for its own good. i'd like to destroy it with some excersize but i have terrible abs and can barely do a single sit up. :frown: its a little embarassing, but thats what happenes when you go your whole life skinny and not excersizing. I need a way to make my abs a bit stronger so i can start doing situps normally. are there any alternatives to the sit up excersize? I'd like to work out a bit, just to get rid of this gut. i think it makes me look uglier than i already am! *facedesk* i wanna be a hunk tooo!!!!! LOL :biggrin:

You mean you have a tummy? You have to work on cardio (Running etc.) and watch what you eat to lose the tummy. Doing situp will not diminish the tummy.

Am I reading your post right, ManicLewis21? My brain is temporarily out of order today.

exercise has little to do with weight loss. keep in mind a candy bar is like 300 calories. want to loose weight reduce your calorie intake below 1800 per day. everyone is so different but men mostly gain fat about the stomach.

difficult to make muscle gains at the gym if your loosing weight. just waisting your time. try to be slightly gaining weight, goto the gym. exercise is good to jump start your metabolism but this is a ways away from showing muscle gain.

I agree with pellaz. Diet has a lot to do with your weight and a lot of people have a slightly skewed/misinformed view on what's considered good nutrition.

To lose weight you should get with a nutritionist or do a good bit of research for diet guidelines and pick up a bit of cardio.

I would advise going on a diet, nothing drastic just make good choices. Cut out the sweets and the fizzy drinks and replace it with fruit juice or yoghurts. In terms of exercise do some cardio like running it will work wonders. You can still eat the stuff you want but maybe not as often or as much of it Confusedmile:

Fruit juice has crazy calories too though.

Cardio will help you lose weight, less working on your abs, more running/swimming/biking/rowing, whatever can keep your heart rate up.

(Not that I ever actually try to control my weight)

I meant made out of fresh fruit, non of the processed stuff hahaha and its bags of sugar lol

swimming and walking is good exersises

Sit-ups will in no way reduce your belly fat. Fat breaks down in a way that is genetically predetermined, from places all over the body.
If you really want to "burn" it, you have to do endurance workouts. Going hiking for two weeks, with all your food in a backpack, is a fabulous way of loosing weight.

There are several factors that contribute to excess fat. I'm going to list some of them. The more of these address the better, but you will see some improvement if you just focus on a few.

The single biggest thing you can do is to have a good diet. Lots of vegetables, sufficient vitamins, appropriate levels of dairy, healthy proteins, minimal excess oil and sugar, and getting enough grains.

The next thing to work on is aerobic exercise. Running, swimming, walking, biking, jogging, jumping rope. For aerobic exercise, you want to aim to do about 30 consecutive minutes of exercise. Do any of these things for 30 minutes. If you can't do it for 30 minutes straight, start with 10 minutes and gradually work your way up. This week do 10 minutes of running, next week do 15, week after that do 20, etc. until you come up to 30 minutes per session. You want to get in at least 5 sessions a week. You could start out with running ten minutes a day, three days a week. Second week, do 15 minutes a day, four times a week. Third week, do 20 minutes a day, five times a week. 4th week, 25 minutes a day, five times a week.
Two important points here. The first point is that the harder you work, the more you lose. You want to be sweating and breathing hard the whole time you're exercising. If you are just kind of floating in the water and wading around, you aren't exercising. Aim for feeling effort being put into it. It may take you a day or two to get used to feeling this. Don't over exert yourself, but you need to work if you want a return. The second point is that you want to keep a consistent workout program. If you slack off after a few weeks because you start to see an improvement, it's only a matter of time before you start gaining that weight back.

The third factor in weight loss is anaerobic exercise: weightlifting. Muscle burns fat. The more muscle you have, the more fat you burn even when you're not exercising.

Fourth factor in weight loss: sleep. Make sure you are getting enough sleep. It's that simple.

Fifth factor: stress. Do what you can to minimize stress. If a major stressor is your weight gain, then working on it through diet and exercise will reduce this stress just because you know you're doing something about it.

Six factor: environment. If you live or work with a bunch of people who have poor diet, never exercise, don't sleep enough, eat too much junk food or drink too much alcohol, smoke, and complain all the time, then you are in an environment that will get in the way of your goal to lose weight. Make friends with people who exercise and diet. Maybe you can set a goal to run a 5k race two months from now. Make friends with someone who will run with you, then you can run your 5k in two months. This will give you many benefits: better health, smaller gut, a new friend, and a sense of accomplishment in finishing a race.

I've only given you a brief description of what you can do. If you want more information, I strongly recommend you check out Body By Design, written by Kris Gethin, on Amazon.com. Your local library may have it, or you can shell out ten bucks for the book. Personally, I think this book is amazing. It goes into much greater detail than I have here and it covers the same factors I mentioned above.