Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MSG (Mono-sodium Glutamate)
[MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION]

I would be skeptical about what people claim makes them ill. Reading through that thread none of those people gave any kind of evidence to sustain their claims that MSG was causing the mentioned problems. It could be MSG or it could be something else, would be my point.

If you have access to research papers on it, I suggest you read those and ignore anything else, the internet is too filled with bullshit and nonsense, conspiracy theories, stupid blogs, etc, etc, etc.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

It could be a food intolerance. I have many of them and react differently to different ones.

I have recently started developing some issues with MSG. I experience a dizziness and fogginess combined with symptoms very similar to dehydration, including headache and feeling sluggish and bloated and... well, just plain "off". I then later experience a bit of IBS symptoms.

They don't last days, though. Usually ending by the next morning and a good 8 oz or so of water downed that morning.

LJay Wrote:[MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION], get thee to the doctor ASAP. If you have any lack of confidence in you present doctor then find another one. It is best not to try to self-diagnose things like this and it is even less best to look for answers on a web forum. If the symptoms are persistent, go to a doctor.

As for MSG, the talk about it causing health problems was quashed when it was not the MSG in Asian food, it was nasties growing in the rice cooker.

If fixing our own food was working for you then it might be a good idea to go back to that and see if it helps, but I would still get to the doctor.

PS: The vagus nerve runs all over the place so you can blame nearly anything on it if you try. The word vagus in Latin means wanderer, as in our word vagrant.

Well since it seems that things are getting better, I'll play it by ear...

I will see about going to the doctor because the symptoms don't make sense, but over the course of the last two weeks this is the best I've felt and have been able to get out and do some running.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

[MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION]

Well, great. Allowed file size for upload here is just about 100000000000000000 less than any pdf I have *sigh*

I wish these were more open access, but, a brief summary:

"Monosodium Glutamate alters the response properties of rat trigeminovascular neurons through activation of peripheral NMDA receptors" O'Brien et al., Neuroscience 334 (2016) 236–244

"Evidence of alterations in brain structure and antioxidant status following low-dose monosodium glutamate ingestion" Onaolapo et al., Pathophysiology 23 (2016) 147–156

"Monosodium glutamate is not likely to be genotoxic" Letter to the editor, Food and Chemical Toxicology 94 (2016) 260-261

"Monosodium glutamate intake affects the function of the kidney through NMDA receptor" Mahieu et al., Life Sciences 149 (2016) 114–119

"Altered cytochrome P450 activities and expression levels in the liver and intestines of the monosodium glutamate-induced mouse model of human obesity" Tomankova et al., Life Sciences 133 (2015) 15–20

These are the most recent ones I could find. For the most part, MSG seems to have a neurological effect more than anything else, I haven't read them thoroughly, but when I do, I'll throw in more insight on this and on the concentrations used, most of all.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

What I would suggest is that you slowly cut out food that you're eating and see how far you get before the ill feeling goes away, there's too many reasons why this could be happening so I'm not going to try and diagnose your issue. The problem with researching this information alone is that you can place so many symptoms with so many differing issues so you may not come to the conclusion of what is happening on your own.

I had to stop eating Chinese food despite loving it as I would was guaranteed to throw it back up later on in the day. I thought at first it was just takeaway Chinese food but I had the same issues with restaurants where MSG wasn't present in the food, after that I just gave up on eating it. I still to this day have no clue why my body reacted the way it did but I'd rather prevent it then try it again.

Well no vomiting... I am going to the doctor this morning. I am at a loss on what is going on, but has been going on long enough... Not going into more details about what has been going on but I will post back what they find and so on.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Alright so here's an update. There's no blood in my stool so that's a plus, at least that's what I was told back on the 29th. The doctor is having me go get a colonoscopy, but I don't have the consultation until November 10th. In the meantime it doesn't look like things are getting better but perhaps worse. I mean I can go back to the doctor again but aside from going to the ER I don't know what else to do or try.

What I ultimately have going on are thin stools, which that has pretty much been constant for about 3 weeks. At first I thought it was constipation and it may still be but it doesn't seem to improve with laxatives. I taken a few doses of Miralax and it did give some relief but didn't fix the problem.

Some days are better than others but then I have episodes that either I get very lightheaded or foggy and I stay that way for hours. Last night I woke up at 1:30 with pretty bad abdominal pains, felt like I was going to puke but didn't. The pains subsided enough that I could go back to sleep after about an hour. Felt like a lot of stuff was moving around.

I have abstained from coffee which might have helped some things mostly with having a panic attack with all that. So I'm looking at either plain old constipation or I could have anything from a blockage, tiwst in the colon or even worse colon cancer. Although I shouldn't speculate what might be wrong but I don't know what else to do other than go to the ER if things continue to get worse and there's nothing to say they will find anything wrong.

The thing about the ER is the cost, it will cost a fortune. I'd like to wait if I can but I hate feeling like this Sad Everything from the pain, discomfort and sickly feeling I have. At the same time I don't want to put myself further into debt or end up having to declare bankruptcy.

Anyway, I have yet to vomit or see any immediate signs of blood. I am still going to the bathroom and still able to go, just not normal. If anything I'd say the process has slowed down quite a bit and my appetite here is beginning to diminish. I'd say that isn't a good thing.

At any rate looking for advice or anyone who might be in the medical field that might point me in the right direction.
Check out my stuff!