Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flaky
Lovely photos, fjp Xyxthumbs

Just letting you know I survived Wink

I'm just back from a few days of work in Kiruna with work. For those that don't know, it's in the far north of Sweden, inside the arctic circle. It's about 2000 Km from where I live in the south of Sweden.

We had snow Smile And less than 2hrs of sunlight a day, from 1040 to 1230.

[Image: PICT4738.JPG]

[Image: PICT4752.JPG]

And we went to the Ice Hotel....

[Image: PICT4759.JPG]

And had a drinkypoo at the ice bar....

[Image: PICT4764.JPG]

The drinks were great!

[Image: PICT4771.JPG]

And the glasses are even made of ice...

[Image: PICT4773.JPG]

There are a few more pics here

Its summer what are you on about???

[Image: wildflower_15756.jpg]

joshyboi Wrote:Its summer what are you on about???

[Image: wildflower_15756.jpg]

[COLOR="Purple"]Do ya really have summer in New Zealand?

Looks amazingly beautiful.

What is the weather like there? Does it get very hot?

Thought it was like spring time all year long - Love me some springtime Laugh2 Laugh2 [/COLOR]

kitschcamp Wrote:I'm just back from a few days of work in Kiruna with work. For those that don't know, it's in the far north of Sweden, inside the arctic circle. It's about 2000 Km from where I live in the south of Sweden.

We had snow Smile And less than 2hrs of sunlight a day, from 1040 to 1230.

[Image: PICT4738.JPG]

[Image: PICT4752.JPG]

Are folk well adjusted with the absence of sunlight? In Japan, during the rainy season, the newspapers would headline the amount of sunlight that hit the area... folk seemed a little more miserable during that cloudy fine mist of rain days. Six weeks.

NZ has nice hot summers and cold wet winters

[Image: brockville__1718647646.jpg]

Dunedin in winter (Home town)

It gets relay hot in central Otago. Its relay beautiful. I'v lived there. The winters are frizzing and summers blistering hot autumn and spring are the best times for weather

fjp999 Wrote:Are folk well adjusted with the absence of sunlight?

Depends on the person, it seems. Some don't care about it in the slightest, and some do indeed go mad.

I know it is a silly question but why do people live in places that are so inhospitable for so much of the year? I know that the Soviets built the most Northerly town in the world just to show that they could, but aside from such prestige projects what's the attraction? Are they so nice in Summer that it makes up for it?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

According to the locals once the snow melts, the midges and mosquitos arrive in huge numbers Wink

The main attraction of Kiruna is the mining - it's the largest iron ore belt and series of mines in Europe. Something like 40% of all iron ore in Europe comes from around Kiruna. And where there is mining, there are jobs and money.

So for most of the year, you are better off down the mine than in the outdoors?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.