Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flamboyancy
I don't imagine it's so much that some gay men chose to conform to a stereotype- though, perhaps as some here describe, a small number may, particularly when just getting used to their gay identity. I think it is more the other way round; stereotypes often have a little truth in them- some gay men are camp/flamboyant. As these are the most recognisable as gay to many people, they come to represent, to some, what gay men are like.

I think it must be hard in some ways for those who are naturally flamboyant; perhaps they encounter more hostility from homophobic people, as they are more 'visible', as well as perhaps some animosity from other gay men. I suppose some gay men might be aware that such men might, to an extent, be representative of all gay men, to those who don't know better, and dislike being associated with that. Maybe? I don't know. If this happens though, of course it is those who would make generalisations, rather than flamboyant gay men.

Incidently, sometimes words like camp/effeminate/flamboyant are used interchangably, but sometimes I find it hard to know exactly what is inferred by such words. I have a friend who I have heard referred to as camp on several occasions but he's actually quite quiet and shy, certainly not extrovert, so I wonder what behaviours can classify camp, outside of the flamboyant/theatrical manner usually meant.

I have the Pet Shop Boys song stuck in my head now :biggrin:

I just love this web site.