Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
found at the reupublican convention
[Image: 6a00d8341c730253ef017617869121970c-800wi]

An excellent example of Poe's Law

Well in case I misunderstand I'll add that to me I understand it as saying it's near impossible to tell between a parody or other fake with the real thing as the real thing is so ridiculous that it's impossible to parody in an obvious way.

Take that piece of paper. Is that for real? Entirely possible as a friend told me her mom said she was going to Hell for voting Democrat (and also against an antigay bill), another guy (Christian himself) said he had to leave his church because the preacher preached it was mandatory to vote Republican if you're a true Christian, and I was lured to a Baptist sermon in which the preacher (and real scumbag) explicitly said the only reason Obama was president was because America had become as godless as Sodom and Christians had a duty to take back society before God destroyed us, and thus you couldn't be a Christian and vote for Obama. So, I can believe that piece of paper.

OTOH, there are plenty of trolls, pranksters, hoaxers, and people doing honest parody who also create stuff like this for fun and slander (never understood the latter, I guess they're just too lazy to look up the legite reasons), so maybe this also isn't real.

But even that I don't know if it's real or not is tragic enough. :frown: (Btw, when I'm wrong it's usually because I'm not cynical enough!)

once again, not surprised -_-

The recent news about Romney and his wife have got me worried, I must say. Everyone's trying to tell him how to get elected. I hope he never catches on.

http://www.queerty.com/mitt-romney-reass...-20120831/

Thanks for the reference to Poe's Law, Pix... You're such an interesting lady!!! Confusedmile:

Fake or not, it is funny to me because I'm sure Obama would think it was real and be piqued to know his numbers and how he was running! Lol!

princealbertofb Wrote:The recent news about Romney and his wife have got me worried, I must say. Everyone's trying to tell him how to get elected. I hope he never catches on.

http://www.queerty.com/mitt-romney-reass...-20120831/

PA...I found this post I made back in 2008 on a political board I was on in regards to Mike Huckabee...I think it pertains to Mitt Romeny as well...who knew it would be relevent four years later? This was also at the time after Hillary Clinton whom I supported dropped out and I was going to vote Green Party as Obama was NOT my favorite as I found him too conservative fro my tastes.

Here is the post:

This is what I was responding to:
Quote:MSNBC was taking about Huckabee as a running mate for McCain.

I find him (Huckabee) refreshing

This is what I said:
You find Huckabee "refreshing"? When I first looked at all of the candidates on stage I thought he was OK because I believed he actually believed what he was saying...and then I actually listened to what he was saying and I believe he is the single scariest candidate...period.

The more I think about it...I realize his "joke" is actually more of a reflection of this man and who he is than anything else...taking it in stride has nothing to do with age. Like him or not...Obama represents people hopes...MILLIONS OF PEOPLE...joking about shooting him is much more than a joke about shooting ONE MAN...it is about killing an idea. We recently saw this in Pakistan...they didn't just kill Benazir Bhutto...they killed a voice for millions of people...It is about control...and Huckabee is BIG on control.

Changing our constitution to be "in line" with the Bible...Ummm...so when do we start stoning people?????

In August of 1998, Huckabee signed a full page USA Today Ad, along with 130 other people, which declared: "I affirm the statement on the family issued by the 1998 Southern Baptist Convention.

"A wife is to submit herself graciously to the servant leadership of her husband even as the church willingly submits to the headship of Christ."

About 150 years before, Southern Baptists used these same scriptures to justify slavery.... Especially Ephesians 5-6.

I have already decided that I am going to have to vote for Obama...I forgot about the Supreme Court Justices...I will either learn to like him or plug my nose...but I will be supporting him.. It only took a couple of weeks...and Huckabee is the person who actually forced me to remember what we are dealing with.

Pix Wrote:An excellent example of Poe's Law

Well in case I misunderstand I'll add that to me I understand it as saying it's near impossible to tell between a parody or other fake with the real thing as the real thing is so ridiculous that it's impossible to parody in an obvious way.

Take that piece of paper. Is that for real? Entirely possible as a friend told me her mom said she was going to Hell for voting Democrat (and also against an antigay bill), another guy (Christian himself) said he had to leave his church because the preacher preached it was mandatory to vote Republican if you're a true Christian, and I was lured to a Baptist sermon in which the preacher (and real scumbag) explicitly said the only reason Obama was president was because America had become as godless as Sodom and Christians had a duty to take back society before God destroyed us, and thus you couldn't be a Christian and vote for Obama. So, I can believe that piece of paper.

OTOH, there are plenty of trolls, pranksters, hoaxers, and people doing honest parody who also create stuff like this for fun and slander (never understood the latter, I guess they're just too lazy to look up the legite reasons), so maybe this also isn't real.

But even that I don't know if it's real or not is tragic enough. :frown: (Btw, when I'm wrong it's usually because I'm not cynical enough!)
Yeah, i think it could be a poe as well.
But you never know.

All i know is it's not the rarest of opinions for republican voters.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

East Wrote:PA...I found this post I made back in 2008 on a political board I was on in regards to Mike Huckabee...I think it pertains to Mitt Romeny as well...who knew it would be relevent four years later? This was also at the time after Hillary Clinton whom I supported dropped out and I was going to vote Green Party as Obama was NOT my favorite as I found him too conservative fro my tastes.

Here is the post:

This is what I was responding to:

This is what I said:
You find Huckabee "refreshing"? When I first looked at all of the candidates on stage I thought he was OK because I believed he actually believed what he was saying...and then I actually listened to what he was saying and I believe he is the single scariest candidate...period.

The more I think about it...I realize his "joke" is actually more of a reflection of this man and who he is than anything else...taking it in stride has nothing to do with age. Like him or not...Obama represents people hopes...MILLIONS OF PEOPLE...joking about shooting him is much more than a joke about shooting ONE MAN...it is about killing an idea. We recently saw this in Pakistan...they didn't just kill Benazir Bhutto...they killed a voice for millions of people...It is about control...and Huckabee is BIG on control.

Changing our constitution to be "in line" with the Bible...Ummm...so when do we start stoning people?????

In August of 1998, Huckabee signed a full page USA Today Ad, along with 130 other people, which declared: "I affirm the statement on the family issued by the 1998 Southern Baptist Convention.

"A wife is to submit herself graciously to the servant leadership of her husband even as the church willingly submits to the headship of Christ."

About 150 years before, Southern Baptists used these same scriptures to justify slavery.... Especially Ephesians 5-6.

I have already decided that I am going to have to vote for Obama...I forgot about the Supreme Court Justices...I will either learn to like him or plug my nose...but I will be supporting him.. It only took a couple of weeks...and Huckabee is the person who actually forced me to remember what we are dealing with.

I know what you're saying, East, sometimes the candidate we have to choose is the lesser of two 'evils' and that's never a nice feeling as a voter.

What's going on in my mind is that because the economy seems to be the next big red herring (as if Mitt Romney was going to solve everyone's problems, right?) people who are feeling the pinch of recession may choose the wrong lesser of two evils and vote in another Hitler... That's what happened in Germany when the recession was that bad. See where it led us? I'm just thinking that we don't want that sort of history to repeat itself with some new mad nutter. It feels very much like the loss of democracy and the way to instating some form of fascism. I heard about twenty years ago that America was sinking into corporate fascism... Wake up, America ???

princealbertofb Wrote:I know what you're saying, Pix, sometimes the candidate we have to choose is the lesser of two 'evils' and that's never a nice feeling as a voter.

What's going on in my mind is that because the economy seems to be the next big red herring (as if Mitt Romney was going to solve everyone's problems, right?) people who are feeling the pinch of recession may choose the wrong lesser of two evils and vote in another Hitler... That's what happened in Germany when the recession was that bad. See where it led us? I'm just thinking that we don't want that sort of history to repeat itself with some new mad nutter. It feels very much like the loss of democracy and the way to instating some form of fascism. I heard about twenty years ago that America was sinking into corporate fascism... Wake up America!
As a general rule, brining up Hitler is a last resort in any political discussion, even friendly ones.Wink
[Image: kitler8.jpg]

Also, "Wake up X!" is also overused as a rally cry of desperation.
Normally used by conspiracy theorists: "Wake up Sheeple!"

Just a few hopefully helpful bits of information.Cool
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so