Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
future of the lgbt movement
jaxc Wrote:i see us becoming stronger & stronger and before long will move to global dominationhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs:biggrin:

don't you know you can take the youtube number thing, in this case P3ALwKeSEYs and select the gayspeak forum YouTube icon and it will imbed the video into the post. Looks much more polished that way.

ardus Wrote:If you look at ancient Greece and ancient Rome that's pretty much the attitude they took. In both societies people weren't expected to be bound by any specific social norms when it came to sex. One of those cases where we may be able to look back for enlightenment.
Richard

I think we've probably surpassed them in terms of enlightenment. It was illegal in Rome for a citizen to be the bottom, you were only allowed to have sex with male slaves and only if you were the top. Also, neither of those cultures would have accepted the idea of long term gay relationships that excluded women.

The Romans and Greeks had their own sexual hangups, they just happened to be different from the ones we're used to from Judeo-Christian culture.

spencer Wrote:It would be nice that instead of needing a big group of letters we could just have sexuality and leave it at that. I think it's more complicated to group people together than it is to just let everyone be as themself. People are too different to fit in to categories. So it would be easier if we just had...sexuality. xD

|
V

QueenOdi Wrote:There's many variables... it's technically inconclusive, but I personally believe that gays have always been around for years. It just took Gays themselves to figure it out.

But people are just people anyway, regardless of sexuality, so unless the entire population suddenly disappears, I doubt sexuality, in any form, will either.

Biggrinflip

That's pretty much what I first said Biggrinflip .

I can't think of any way simpler to put it.

But then again, History always repeats itself...

Sexuality was free and open during several years of human civilization, for instance Woodstock, when the hippies had sex with the same sex and did acid, it's bound to repeat itself at some point, to some degree.

And just like how it's been pretty condemned in the last 50-60 years, it will be again at another point in time.

Hitler wasn't the first and unfortunately, he probably won't be the last.

It's hard for people to elude history and it's subtle repetition.

Confusedmile:

Was there a lot of gay sex at Woodstock? :confused:

But remembering the Nazi party does scare me because Germany didn't slowly drift into its stance, it radically changed. Berlin had been one of the most gay friendly cities in the WORLD at the time and then within a few months all the gay clubs and the like were shut down and gays were being imprisoned if not put into camps. It happened that fast, and right after an election, IIRC.

So when I think just how many politicians promote themselves as antigay it scares me. When I hear right wingers who normally condemn even UHC as "too Soviet" for praising Soviet Russia for "how it handled the gay problem" (and I have heard that stated bluntly once, btw, and IIRC he said he hated everything about the Soviet Union except for they criminalized and persecuted gays and hoped America would start doing the same again), it bothers me. When religious leaders and radio hosts talk about putting us in camps until we all die of AIDS it disturbs me.

Then there's how a boy was so upset by another boy being openly gay that (after he failed to convince anyone else to help him bash the gay and apparently he wasn't willing to do that by himself) he brought a gun to school and shot him to death IN CLASS IN FRONT OF STUDENTS. And, despite this being California, HE GOT OFF (there was some noise about how the jury didn't like that he was being charged as an adult, but it seemed that the defense called in a psychiatrist who convinced the jury that the boy wasn't able to help himself from murdering and the jury bought it) and then Michael Brown printed a piece that blamed the victim (and everybody supporting gays) for his own murder (showing no remorse not only for the victim but the entire class that saw that happen), which is explained by ZJ here:

Mix that in how Republicans are sure to make sure all hate crime laws and antibullying laws don't include protection for gays (even when they support such laws otherwise) and it becomes clear they have very dire things in mind for us, it's not just the extremists. (If it were just the extremists then the politicians wouldn't be catering to them, and furthermore grassroots antigay measures wouldn't keep succeeding.) And then they're supported so much by the Christian Right which includes people like this who showed their ultimate aims already in Africa:

http://www.publiceye.org/magazine/v24n4/...frica.html

Quote:Warren is especially influential on the continent, enjoying close ties to African religious and political leaders. They quote him to justify discrimination against LGBT people, and to support their challenge to U.S. mainline Protestants liberalizing their policies around gay ordination. "Homosexuality is not a natural way of life and thus not a human right," Warren said during a March-April 2008 visit with African religious and political leaders in Rwanda, Uganda, and Kenya. That quote has reverberated ever since

(Btw, quick note, Rick Warren just mentioned gave the invocation at Obama's inauguration, which I point out not so much to blast Obama as I think, much to my surprise, he's stood by us pretty well but to show just how significant people like Warren are in US politics when even Obama curries his favor and the favor of those who support Warren.)

Quote:If only Lively's influence ended there. But a few days later, he met with Ugandan lawmakers and government officials, some of whom would draft parliament's Anti-Homosexuality Act of 2009 the next month. This act would ban LGBT organizing and give the death penalty for gays, though not heterosexuals, who have sex with someone underage or while infected with the HIV/AIDS virus.[3] Lively and the "traditional family values" language of U.S. antigay campaigners echoes through the draft legislation:

"Research indicates that the homosexuality has a variety of negative consequences including higher incidences of violence, sexually transmitted diseases, and use of drugs. The higher incidence of separation and break-up in homosexual relationships also creates a highly unstable environment for children raised by homosexuals through adoption or otherwise, and can have profound psychological consequences on those children. In addition, the promotion of homosexual behavior undermines our traditional family values."

Family Life Network's Langa pushed people at a follow up meeting to stand up for the tougher law against homosexuality for their children's sake, echoing Lively in charging that Ugandan gays and activists were being paid by U.S. gays to recruit schoolchildren into homosexuality.

Amid the utter hysteria, any sense that homosexuality has been in Africa from time immemorial was lost. While hardly embraced, and indeed illegal in many countries, at least LGBT people were not hounded by churches and police alike – until American culture warriors came to Africa. Bishop Christopher Ssenjonyo, one of the most progressive voices on LGBT issues in Uganda, expressed his own concerns about the Americans' role to me in March, "I am sure that these lies will incite public hatred against gays."

Quote:The unsuspecting audience heard Lively promote his book, The Pink Swastika, and his argument that not only are gays seeking to take over the world, but they also threaten society by causing higher rates of divorce, child abuse, and HIV/AIDS. Legalizing homosexuality is on par with accepting "molestation of children or having sex with animals," he said. As Lively puts it, LGBT issues cannot be considered human rights issues. "The people coming to Africa now and advancing the idea that human rights serves the homosexual interests are absolutely wrong," he said. "Many of them are outright liars and they are manipulating history; they are manipulating facts in order to push their political agenda." Lively even tarred abortion rights as "a product of the gay philosophy" meant to promote sexual promiscuity in order to "destroy the family." In sum, he warned, U.S. homosexuals are out to recruit young people into homosexual lifestyles so they must be stopped.

And there Lively explains how gays are trying to turn society upside down and take over the world showing another example of psychological projection as the US citizen changes Africa to suit his taste and impose his Christian agenda on others.

So many things, and these people are connected to powerful politicians in the USA, even the Dominionists (some of whom want to bring back slavery because the Bible supports it and literally believe any who oppose them, and all who are gay, are demon possessed) have major politicians working for them (including Perry and Bachmann), and I can't help but think how fast Berlin went from one of the most gay friendly places in the world to a place where gays had pink triangles put on them in less than a year and be afraid. And I'm not normally one to worry much about the future.

We as people like to organize and label ideas so no stereotypes and labels won't go away. As far as sexuality is concerned, sexuality is more of a continuum line where completely straight and completely gay are on opposite corners and everyone falls and moves onto different areas of that line, to that degree it's unfair to specifically label someone in a certain field, it just makes it easier for us to understand a persons position though