Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awesome queer teen books you've probably never heard of!
Okay, so have you ever read a book and been like "I need everyone to read this!"? There is a trilogy that I feel really sorry for everyone who's missing out on:

The Engelsfors Trilogy (The Circle, Fire, The Key) - Sara B. Elfgren & Mats Strandberg

This book is for fellow lesbians (or just fellow human beings) who want to read about kick-ass but cute female characters where rooting for a queer romance is not always hopeless (sorry, spoilers I guess).

The story takes place in a normal, small town in Sweden where not-so-normal things are about to happen. One night, 6 girls from the local high school are drawn to an abandoned park by a supernatural force, where they are told that they are the chosen ones, the world's only hope. They will each develop a unique magical power, but the hardest part will be figuring out how to work together, especially since some of the girls hate each other.

I realize that there are tons of fantasy books like these, and if you don't like fantasy you're probably like "meh", but please don't judge it just yet.

The uniqueness of the books lies within how realistic they feel, how the new powers have to find their place in the girl's normal lives. Will Anna-Karin, who has been bullied her whole life, be able to resist the opportunity to gain popularity when she's suddenly given the power to change other people's will? And what about Minoo, who has always been the best at every subject in school, but now seems to be completely useless at magic?

The characters are unique and you will fall in love with all of them. The authors are open minded and touch subjects that I lack in many books. The characters have to see past their prejudices and form new and unexpected friendships. Some of them are dealing with some really hard things in their non-magical lives, but still have to figure out how to save the world.

A film for the first book premiered last week, and I don't think I have to tell you that I loved it. I'm sure you'll be able to watch the subtitled version somewhere.

I'm sorry for making such a long post, but I hope you look into this series, I promise you won't regret it!