Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gay characters in video games
I just started playing Valkyria Chronicles since it came out today on STEAM. and I was not expecting to see a gay character or several for that matter. The game is loosely based off of world war 2, and I put the gay guy, Jann, on my team, and he is flaming fabulous, something unheard of in that time era. There is also a lesbian, and apparently a bisexual man too. I didn't put the lesbian on my team solely because part of her personality is manhater. Her accuracy actually goes down when she is near men.

What other gay video game characters can you think of? I know Mario games have a few.

Hmm.. Don't think I've played a game with gay characters. Of course I've played Mario games a bunch when I was younger. I didn't know there were gay characters though? Which ones were they?
So lost in your addiction
The solemn comfort of your grave
If you close your eyes the light can't take it away

Reach back behind your pride
And pull the thorn from the burning pain in your side

Demon Hunter - Not I

Birdo is actually a man, and there are a few in the RPGs like the Bedsmith in Dream Team. Bedsmith wanted to sleep on top of Prince Dreambert.

Dragon age, mass effect.. cant think of any else off the top of my head

Radbot42 Wrote:Birdo is actually a man, and there are a few in the RPGs like the Bedsmith in Dream Team. Bedsmith wanted to sleep on top of Prince Dreambert.

Oh ok. I never played those. I played the real early ones and I have Mario Galaxy for the Wii. Usually break that out when I'm super baked haha
So lost in your addiction
The solemn comfort of your grave
If you close your eyes the light can't take it away

Reach back behind your pride
And pull the thorn from the burning pain in your side

Demon Hunter - Not I

Yeah, Nintendo of America have kinda shush-shushed the whole transgender aspect of Birdo though. Or at least they used to, I vaguely recall them actually calling it out a little while ago for something - maybe a trophy in one of those smash brothers games... whatever it was, I think they re-retconned it back in.

As for gay characters in video games, I remember actively looking for them a few years ago, and being sorely disappointment. Well, I wouldn't have been if I were female anyway - there are plenty of lesbian characters, and opportunities to make characters lesbian, in games... but sadly man-on-man is unsurprisingly a little more scarce.

You can choose to seduce male students in the Canis Canem Edit/Bully games - one of each clique - once you've fully upgraded your art skill, or photography skill (or whatever skill affects seduction), but it doesn't give the benefits of seducing females, like health restoration.

Also there's an Xbox 360 RPG I've played called Enchanted Arms, in which one of the main 3 characters is quite openly gay. The only problem is he's a rather "cliched" representation. But, he's a representation nonetheless, and he's not too "offensive" - just a tad grating.

Persona 4 has Kanji, a character who struggles with his sexuality as part of his character arc. While his big crush is eventually revealed to have simply been a girl who looks like a boy - thus "making it okay" - he does eventually seem to settle on the idea that gender is irrelevant, making him potentially a bisexual character - with none of the stereotypes attached.

Other than that, all I can really think of of are BioWare RPGs like Mass Effect, Jade Empire & Dragon Age, as mentioned above.

The Last of Us has Bill. When you meet him you do not know his sexuality, but the way it unfolds and you do find out feels so natural in the realm of the game. Really enjoy the game overall and having a well done homosexual character in it was a plus.