Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gay marriage a win in US?
Gay marriage wins final legislative approval in Washington State

(Reuters) - A bill to legalize gay marriage in Washington state won final legislative approval on Wednesday in a largely party-line vote that moved the state to the cusp of becoming the seventh in the nation to recognize same-sex nuptials.

Washington's Democratic Governor Christine Gregoire said she looked forward to signing the measure and "putting into law an end to an era of discrimination" even as opponents, led by religious conservatives, vowed to seek its repeal at the polls in November.

The approval in the state House of Representatives came a day after gay marriage advocates won a key legal victory in California when a federal appeals court declared a voter-approved gay marriage ban in that state unconstitutional.

The Washington legislation cleared the state House of Representatives by a vote of 55-43, a week after the state Senate passed it by a 28-21 vote. Democrats, accounting for the lion's share of support for the bill, control both legislative bodies in Olympia.

Several prominent Washington-based companies employing tens of thousands of workers in the state also endorsed the bill, including Microsoft, Amazon and Starbucks.

Supporters of same-sex marriage are pushing similar statutes in Maryland and New Jersey, and a referendum to legalize gay marriage in Maine has qualified for the November ballot there.

Six other states already recognize gay marriage -- New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire and Iowa -- as does the District of Columbia.

But neither Tuesday's legal ruling in San Francisco nor the statehouse action in Olympia will immediately alter the status quo for gay couples. The outcome of the court challenge in California is likely to remain stayed until the appeals process finishes running its course, and the Washington state measure cannot go into effect before early June.

HEATED DEBATE

Wednesday's floor action began with lawmakers quickly rejecting a series of amendments, most of them relatively technical in nature, that would have slowed the bill's momentum by forcing it back to the Senate for further consideration.

Debate grew emotional at times, with the bill's chief House sponsor, Representative Jamie Pedersen, a Democrat who has four young children with his gay companion of 10 years, arguing that the state's domestic-partnership law falls short.

"I would like our four children to understand ... that their daddy and their papa have made that lifelong commitment to each other," he said. "Thousands of same-sex couples in our state deserve the respect and protection from our government that only marriage can convey."

Representative Jay Rodne, a Republican who said he was guided by his Roman Catholic faith to oppose gay marriage, decried the bill as tantamount to "progressive reengineering in its most extreme and damaging form."

"This bill is about validation. This bill is about acceptance ... Marriage is not about self-actualization, validation or acceptance," he said. "Marriage is about life."

In the end, two Republicans joined 53 Democrats in voting for the bill in the House, while two Democrats sided with 41 Republicans in opposition. It passed unchanged from its Senate version.

Gregoire, in a statement issued after the vote, said Washington state would "no longer deny our citizens the opportunity to marry the person they love."

"We tell every child of same-sex couples that their family is every bit as equal and important as all other families in our state," she said.

VALENTINE'S DAY

The bill is to be formally delivered to the governor's desk by week's end, and Gregoire will then have five days to sign it, not including Sunday. Aides said enactment was expected to come on or before next Tuesday, Valentine's Day. Still, the measure would not take effect before June 7, three months after the conclusion of the legislative session.

In the meantime, opponents of same-sex matrimony said they would seek to overturn the legislation via one of two ballot measures -- a referendum for repeal or an initiative defining marriage as the exclusive domain of heterosexual couples.

The initiative would need 241,153 signatures of registered voters by July 6 to secure a place on the November ballot. A repeal would need just half the number of signatures by June 6.

If a repeal referendum qualifies for the November ballot, the gay marriage law would be suspended until the election and certification of returns, meaning December 6, before it is either repealed or goes into effect.

One amendment rejected in both the Senate and House would have submitted the issue directly to voters in a referendum, bypassing the need for a petition.

Also left unchanged were provisions allowing gay couples from out of state to get married in Washington and permitting religious organizations to refuse to rent out their chapels or other facilities as venues for same-sex weddings.

Should gay marriage opponents pursue an initiative to define matrimony as being restricted to one man and one woman, gay marriages under the newly passed statute could proceed on June 7, regardless of ballot-qualification efforts.

But it was unclear whether gay weddings performed in the interim would be nullified if an initiative restricting marriage to male-female unions were to pass in November.

There is precedent in California for handling such a situation. California's Supreme Court legalized gay marriage in 2008, only to see voters approve a state constitutional amendment banning same-sex matrimony six months later.

The state's high court later upheld the gay marriage ban, known as Proposition 8, but ruled that 18,000 same-sex weddings officiated between May and November 2008 were still legal.

A federal judge later ruled Prop 8 unconstitutional, a decision upheld on Tuesday by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Legal experts said that ruling, while narrowly tailored to California, could ease the way for a successful court challenge in Washington state should voters ban gay marriage at the polls.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:We are only a few very short steps from an open, free, liberated society (which is only a partial truth already) to a dictatorship. If, perhaps when, a Dictator rises to the office of the Presidency, I have to worry about our legal rights being used against us in another 'purification'.

Yes, me and my partner have talked about how fast it turned against gays in Nazi Germany and have regretfully considered the possibility of something similar in the United States given the Nazi-like hate propaganda FOX News has put out about us (and it's one of the most popular news channels in the country) and major Republicans openly courting Dominioninsts (if not being so themselves) and acting so insane right now.

President Obama is not helping in regards to civil liberties. I don't see him as a dictator as others do, and I think beyond a certain level of corruption he does mean well, but he has taken the police state traits of Bush and pushed them harder, normalized it (so even IF liberals go back to caring when a Republican does the same the Republicans will legitimately say liberals didn't care when Obama was doing it), and thus paved the way for greater abuses of power. And though it seems to me like it should take a decade at least to get that bad, Nazi Germany showed it can happen with surprising swiftness. It is a realization that bothers me and a few others I know.

You can't really analogize the collapse of the gay rights movement in Weimar Germany with the USA. First of all, the Weimar Republic had just brought German laws in line with the Napoleonic code states, like France. This caused a brief flourishing of gay culture in Berlin during the 30s, but the same flourishing of gay culture was occurring in Paris as well. The homophile movements, like the Daughter's of Bilitis, were active in US politics around the same time. The Nazi treatment of homosexuals wasn't even substantially different from what homosexuals faced in the US, Can, and UK at the time. The only substantial difference being that prisoners were increasingly used for slave labour by the Nazis, which resulted in a couple thousand gays dying in forced labour camps.

The USA's progress on gay rights mirrors the same progress most English speaking liberal democracies have taken over the previous century. The USA has been slightly slower than the UK and Canada, and at about the same pace as Australia. I don't see any reason for apocalyptic predictions, the American public is nowhere near that violent or ignorant towards homosexuals.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:... only a few very short steps from an open, free, liberated society to a dictatorship
so you think they dont know already we are gay?
how simple

the US, currently there are like five states, like Washington, that have pending legislation.
if Obama gets re elected there are three Supreme Court appointments likely

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:The USA is in a position much like Germany. We have had a Reichstag Fire (9-11-2001) that has lead to an Enabling Act (Patriot Acts I and II), Gestapo (Homeland Security) and a tightening of rights and freedoms up and down the spectrum.

I have to agree with Orphanpip, as the limitations on freedom enacted by the "Patriot" Act are far more analogous to Abraham Lincoln's suspension of Habeas corpus during the Civil War or John Adam's enactment of the Alien and Sedition Acts in order to keep the United States from going to war with Britain and/or France during his administration.

As of yet, in my opinion, we still have not seen anything as draconian as the Japanese Internment or the Mccarthy Scare.

I think the belief that the U.S. is teetering on the edge of decent into a dictatorial state is the result of far too much media hype and polarization . . . a thing that scares me far more than anything else you have mentioned.

OrphanPip Wrote:I don't see any reason for apocalyptic predictions, the American public is nowhere near that violent or ignorant towards homosexuals.

Just to be clear, I'm not making predictions, I'm considering possibilities. But I do recall back when I shared your optimism about the American public, something I no longer hold to.

Inchante Wrote:too much media hype.

I haven't seen the media hype, unless you count FOX just blasting Obama on general principles and predicting he will "fail." The media has been incredibly silent on nearly everything pointing to a growing police state, including FOX (who doesn't want to make Obama look "tough on the war on terror").

Canada is relatively free of Religious Fanaticism. how many Christian Fundamentalists exist inside of Canada, or Australia or any of the other 'western' nations?

Understand that the only reason why Republicans remain in power, or even have a following is because they claim to represent 'God's Will' on earth. Granted they do not come right out and say that, but their every morality move reflected Christian Fundamentalism.

The War on Terra is not a war on Terrorism. Its a war on Islam. It has been right from the very start. You say Terrorist and everyone thinks of a man in a turban - a Muslim.

And that is largely due to the media following the script and teaching us through repetition that Terrorist = Islam.

Why is America so slow to freedom? It has nothing to do with the ideology of equality, it has everything to do with the steady push for a theocracy, ran predominately be fundamentalism.

Fear is rampant in the USA. The government and the media keeps the US on an IV drip of high octane fear. This is why so many Americans have home security systems when so many Canadians don't even bother locking their door.

We live in a culture of Fear: http://www.earthlight.org/2002/essay47_deboer.html
http://www.bowlingforcolumbine.com/libra.../index.php

Google it.

We also live in a country that has set it self up for a huge fall.

http://www.endofamericamovie.com/ - Get the book or rent the movie, then google against what she says.

They are now using military drones against civilians in the USA: http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/1...e-agencies while that may seem like a great idea, we have to wonder what the founding fathers would think about military equipment being used against its own citizens. That was never the intent of the Founding Fathers.

America is less than three steps away from dictatorship, its less than 2 steps away from being a theocracy. Everything is already in place to turn the USA into a police state - hell in many ways we are already a police state and most Americans are either oblivious to it or are loving it.

OrphanPip Wrote:You can't really analogize the collapse of the gay rights movement in Weimar Germany with the USA. First of all, the Weimar Republic had just brought German laws in line with the Napoleonic code states, like France. This caused a brief flourishing of gay culture in Berlin during the 30s, but the same flourishing of gay culture was occurring in Paris as well. The homophile movements, like the Daughter's of Bilitis, were active in US politics around the same time. The Nazi treatment of homosexuals wasn't even substantially different from what homosexuals faced in the US, Can, and UK at the time. The only substantial difference being that prisoners were increasingly used for slave labour by the Nazis, which resulted in a couple thousand gays dying in forced labour camps.

The USA's progress on gay rights mirrors the same progress most English speaking liberal democracies have taken over the previous century. The USA has been slightly slower than the UK and Canada, and at about the same pace as Australia. I don't see any reason for apocalyptic predictions, the American public is nowhere near that violent or ignorant towards homosexuals.

ill start stock piling cans of food dude

I'm moving to Canada, its too much hate in the U.S. Cry