Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gay marriage a win in US?
if the CA prop8 gets over turned
and
prez Obama stays in office

do you think the anti gay marriage forces are short listed and on loosing end of things?

I think they are on the losing end of things period. The President and proposition 8 simply effect the time it will take for equal marriage to come about in the U.S. Remember that several states accepted gay marriage even while Bush was in office. I think the train has left the station and we are just waiting for it to arrive on this issue.

one angle i have not seen in the media;
the gay population is measured 3-8% currently. Of that population maybe 1% would consider marriage. How is 1% going to change society.

pellaz Wrote:one angle i have not seen in the media;
the gay population is measured 3-8% currently. Of that population maybe 1% would consider marriage. How is 1% going to change society.

I think Mead answered that one best: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has".
Margaret Mead

my bad
i meant something different ...
why not give the gays what they want, there is not enough of them to change anything (again we are only 3-8% of the population and of that 3% maybe less than 1% will apply for a marriage license)

I certainly hope so Pellaz, their ideology is sending humanity back into the dark ages.

The latest I heard the federal appeals court has declared it unconstitutional.
I guess it's now goes to the Supreme court .

Better hope it does NOT go to THIS Supreme Court...for everyone who thought it didn't matter if they voted...Bush stacked every court in the land with neo cons including the Supreme Court...he picked a right wing idealogue that was YOUNG to lead the court...Mister Roberts...who has permanently allowed the very rich to own every politican from here on out.....if you want gay marraige to pass the Supreme Court you better think about that before you decide to vote for Mitt Romney or not vote at all...one more conservative on the bench and our fate will be sealed for years to come. Count on it.

I find U.S politics very confusing, I know gay marriage in England is supposed to come in in about 2015 but whether it does is another matter.

mrk2010 Wrote:I find U.S politics very confusing, I know gay marriage in England is supposed to come in in about 2015 but whether it does is another matter.

It is confusing for those of us who live here too. Though, I haven't seen a governmental system that wasn't confusing unless it was a dictatorship.

The first thing you have to remember is that we have a federalist system, which reserves certain rights for individual states. So, Massachusetts can legalize gay marriage and ban capital punishment while Alabama allows capital punishment but bans gay marriage.

However, all states must comply with the federal constitution. So, if proposition 8 gets to the Supreme Court and they rule that proposition 8 is a violation of the federal constitution (likely through the 14th amendment) ALL states must then comply with the courts reading of the constitution. That will stand until either the federal constitution is amended (which is very difficult) or until the Supreme Court agrees to review the case again at some future date and changes its ruling as it did with Plessy v. Ferguson when it changed its verdict on the subject with Brown vs. Board of Education.

all the politic stuff confuses me to ,
everyone should just go back and think how hippies do Smile
sorted.