Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gay partnership legal issues
my partner an i have been together for 3 years. We were talking it over and it is time to make it official but same sex marriage is not possible we live (Colorado US). Even if we marry in say New York state it will not be recolonized in Colorado where we live. We have access to a lawyer.

The easy stuff is, i dont think this stuff is more than the paper work necessary:
-common wills
-medical power of attorney
-general power of attorney

We both have existing houses, he rents out his. We are thinking of getting together to buy some real estate for rental purposes. We would appear stronger to a bank if we were partnered. Titled the rentals into a LLC style corporation that we both would own?
-how have you owned joint assets as a gay couple?
-how have you provided for a orderly dismantling of things should the couple want to separate?

Everything we own is joint. We have each other's power of attorneys...wills...living trusts....we jointly own everything.

I know we will never break up and knew from the first day so dismantling is not an issue nor a consideration...my only thought all along was making sure he owns everything and is my sole beneficiary.. I realize that is rare but it is true.

I would suspect, however, that most people would draw up papers ahead of time spelling it out clearly...as in any business partnership.

East Wrote:... I know we will never break up and knew from the first day ... I realize that is rare but it is true.
I said the same thing in a 15 year straight relationship i had. Where the breakup was amicable for me I would not count this to be that way for the second time.

this gay relationship is sooo different, so un defined and at times i cant believe i am so blessed.

has any one out there created an environment that took the place of a marriage license?

thanks guys.

A video for the propagation of marriage equality...

and an Australian one:

And I like the genuine anger (and cheek) of this one... plus, he's cute...

Domestic Partnership Registration http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php...Itemid=139

I have no idea what this affords you in the way of 'rights'.

Reading the site it appears it affords you nothing than taking some money out of your pocket?

No there is no way to get the same legal full on coverage that a marriage certificate gives you. You still have Taxes and all of that to be concerned about. You most likely will not have the same rights as married couples do to share on the same health care plan via one of your jobs.

We are registered under the California Domestic Partnership thingy, this allows us to be on the health care of the business. For instance I was on his health care coverage through DHL until DHL laid off most of everybody. We had to register as domestic partners.

We have wills and 'living trusts'. The wills are for after death. His is essentially a one page deal that says 'My partner gets everything'.

Mine was a bit more difficult since I have to content with my mother who made it quite clear that she would contest my will in the event of my death before my partner. And she is the type of woman who would spend thousands of dollars for a few hundred dollars worth of 'stuff' just to make my partner's life that much more miserable.

He is my beneficiary on my life insurance polices (yes plural) and I am beneficiary of one of his policies, his mother is on the other. When She passes I suspect I will get my name thrown on that one. That one is older than our relationship.

We were planning on buying a house in 2003 - A very good thing we decided to put that off a while, considering how in 2004 the housing market went down by the bow. We were going to go in jointly with survivorship.... Something along those lines. Basically co-owners and co-tenants and in case one of us kicked off the other would get the property (paying taxes for inheritance I think). I forget exactly how it would work out if we parted company.

Both vehicles are in his name. We are insured jointly (cars, people and property like tools, renters insurance, etc). http://www.gaysurance.com/ may be of interest.

We are joint on the Costco Card and the JC Penny Card. He has his own bank account and I have my own - thus he has his own credit cards (most of them melted) and I have my credit cards - barely used....

Phones (cell) are in his name The old land line was in my name, until we decided that keeping both cells and landlines was sort of silly and expensive. Cable and Broadband in my name. Trash in my name, Electric in his - we live on septic tank and well. We do have a joint rental agreement.

Dogs are in his name at the vets. And I remind him that if we break up that means the dogs are going with him. :biggrin:

No tax breaks or anything like that.

Most of what we have when it comes to 'stuff' is gentleman agreement. Exception is our computers (he has his, I have mine) and my work tools.