Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gay sex education
A question for users in the UK: What were you taught about homosexuality in your sex education lessons?

I'm a journalist researching the legacy of Section 28, trying to find the real effect it has had on gays and lesbians in school.

I would be fascinated to hear about any of your own experiences.

- Did your sex education lessons make you feel that gay relationships were equal to straight relationships?

- Do you feel that your teachers adequately dealt with anti-gay bullying?

In my school in the late 80s, we were just told: "There's this disease called Aids, which some people think is the gay plague." And that was it. Hopefully things have improved since then.

If you would prefer to contact me directly, my email address is on my profile.

Tom

We weren't ... gay sex-education was not part of the syllabus, and was never spoken of when I was at school.

Not as a subject, at any rate ...

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

no it was not mentioned in school at all - but now that we can have civil partnerships in 10 - 15 yrs time they most probably will do

Now that I think about it, heterosexual anal-sex was touched upon briefly in the syllabus ... but all the lads in my ALL-BOYS secondary school seemed to turn into Beavis & Butthead clones at the mere mention of it, so it was scrubbed quite quickly ...

... ah, memories !! Confusedmile:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

I can honestly say that I don't remember having any education about homosexuality in school (1995-2002).. I'm sure I would have remembered it if I did!

Sorry yes, mine (for clarity's sake) would have been 1989-1996.

Cheers !

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Our "straight" sex education was limited enough but there was no mention of gay or lesbian sex, although having said that i dont think it is strictly nescisary as they coverd the "always wear a condom" thing to prevent STD's and i dont think i would have gained much or anything from it...

holmzie Wrote:no it was not mentioned in school at all - but now that we can have civil partnerships in 10 - 15 yrs time they most probably will do
10-15 years time? Weren't they *already* legal when that was posted?

Shadow Wrote:Sorry yes, mine (for clarity's sake) would have been 1989-1996.
Heh. I was born in 1989. Wink

And gayness wasn't mentioned at all in my education.
Secondary school, 1999 to 2006.

Although we never specifically taught about homosexuality in our sex education lessons, we did discuss both anal and oral sex...

I don't really see the need for the whole 'AND FOR GAYS AND LESBIANS IN THE CLASS...' crap tbh... Aslong as in the sex education lessons we are taught about the dangers of unprotected sex - which we are.

I don't agree with that, but I reckon there's issues that need to be covered in sex ed about homos.

I've got a friend who told me last week that AIDS is a gay disease.

Naturally, I threw a chip in her hair.