Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gay theme in documentry
did anyone in the UK watch bettany hughes ancient world last wednesday night? it was all about the spartan empire. it was facinating to see how homosexuality was actually complusary in the army. it was widely accepted by this race of people. it wasnt illegal or frowned upon. it just got me thinking, how great would it be if the world were like that today? Remybussi

I'm not sure I agree. I didn't see the documentary, but I would feel distinctly uneasy were anyone forced to engage in unwanted sex.

I did see it. I have to point out that the practices of the Spartan army would be considered paedophilia now. Although, AFAIK, only in Sparta was homosexuality compulsory relationships between older men and adolescent boys were common in the Ancient Greek world (at least within the upper classes of society, there being very little written evidence about the lower classes).

To be honest given its militaristic nature, enslavement of an entire people, brutal treatment of its sons, etc. I think it is a little unwise to emulate ancient Sparta. I remain a fan of Athens.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.