Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
generations
I was bored!

Does anyone ever wonder what generation they belong to?
I was born in 76 and I'm lucky I guess, because I'm part of almost 10 generations: (Here are my so called generations) Gen X (1965-80), Gen Y (1976-2001, 1977-1994, 1974-1990,1982-1996, gen y has 1million different start and end dates), Mtv Gen (1975-86), Generation Doom Sad (76-81), Boomlet :> (76-81), Netter or PC'r I forgot, Nomad, &Hero.
Here's an article I found.

Preface
Today’s item on the morning radio show: “The new generation is set, it’s called N, and starts from 1998″. So I thought: “Nice… the last thing I read were things about ‘Gen Y’, where I didn’t even get who that exactly were. Curious as I am; google to the rescue! So here are my findings… Apparently there are some discussions about naming conventions and date ranges, but I’m going to keep the most commonly used definitions for this one.

In Short

1925-1945 : Silent Generation
1946-1964 : Baby Boomers
1965-1980 : Generation X
1976-2001 : Generation Y
1998-***** : New Silent Generation
As you can see there is some overlap between them. There are even sub & transition generations when reading thru the material. But I tried to keep it summarized to the terms you see most often.

So who cares?
Something I often wondered was; “Who the **** cares?” Well apparently each generation comes with it’s own manual, as they were raised in a different culture. This is something that was to be expected, but there are theories about it. Each generation has it’s “Archtype”.

A generation is composed of people whose common location in history lends them a collective persona. The span of one generation is roughly the length of a phase of life. Generations come in four archetypes, always in the same order, whose phase-of-life positions comprise a constellation.

The Prophet archetype is born in a High, enters young adulthood in an Awakening, midlife in an Unraveling, and elderhood in a Crisis.
The Nomad archetype is born in an Awakening, enters young adulthood in an Unraveling, midlife in a Crisis, and elderhood in a High.
The Hero archetype is born in an Unraveling, enters young adulthood in a Crisis, midlife in a High, and elderhood in an Awakening.
The Artist archetype is born in a Crisis, enters young adulthood in a High, midlife in an Awakening, and elderhood in an Unraveling.
Mapped

Artist : Silent Generation
Prophet : Baby Boomers
Nomad : Generation X
Hero : Generation Y
Artist : New Silent Generation

Thanks. Nice to know things can only get worse :frown:

what's wrong?

I was born in 1990 so I guess that puts me in Gen. Y

1990 now i know im oldCry i was 13 or 14 im so old i cant remember

i don't know why "Gen X" and "Gen Y" overlap each other. I'm half X and half Y but it doesn't make sense but there are so many different definitions of a generation and it's all used for marketing i think. Like some people say gen X was never even a generation and some say it's only 1965 to 1975 and Gen Y starts at 76 but some say its 64-76. I decided just to be a mixture of different ones.

A longggg time ago I used to read a mag called XY, I wonder if it's still being made.

[COLOR="Purple"]Nah, dont really care.

In some ways I do believe things bind one to their generation... I think my generation had great music (mostly :eek: ) but find some stuff from the past AMAZING... still I would not trade their Elvis for my Bowie.

I also wonder if this makes sense at all to just Westerners or world ages?

Does a gay guy born in an African country in 1962 share much with my gay world? I doubt it very much.

Interesting to think about, so thanks for being bored Scatter [/COLOR]

marshlander Wrote:Thanks. Nice to know things can only get worse :frown:

gaygay33 Wrote:what's wrong?

As a baby boomer I am uravelling and looking forward to ending my days in crisis ...