Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
high school; Walk Out Over Gay Kiss
i read this on google.news.com, apparently a live performance at a local high school, an east coast situation.

fyi.

What a silly thing it's only a kiss... Coffee

I like the idea presented in the play. It turns the tables. Heterosexuality is the minority, and homosexuality is the norm. I think it probably goes a long way to better demonstrating to straight people what it is like to be a gay person in the closet.

I also think it shows a lot about the folks that walked out although since many were on the football team I suspect that those that were on the team that didn't immediately take to their feet may have simply been following their leaders (peer group pressure) rather than actually having any issue themselves... which is, in its own way, an additional sad reflection on those that are in positions of leadership.

i cant see the whole foot ball team in for a live performance unless they planned it (to walk out).

Everything that isn't 'normal' becomes a political and religious issue...no wonder politicians and the religious right wing piss me off so much.

Lesbian kiss and it's a male sexual fantasy, gays kiss and it's the end of the world.

Silly narrow-minded, ignorant and bigotted people.

But yeah, off my pedestal now, great to see issues being delt with tastefully. Reminds me of a movie I watched a few years ago, the name of it escapes me, but the whole world is gay and heteros are fighting for equality.

The whole thing reminds me of the scene in Capote when Truman is making fun of James Baldwin for being blindsided by the fact that his book about an interracial gay couple in the sixties was controversial.

You have to know that a gay kiss on stage in a public high school is going to be controversial, whether it should be or not. You should be prepared and willing to take on the quagmire that follows. I applaud the students for having the courage to do so.

dfiant Wrote:But yeah, off my pedestal now, great to see issues being delt with tastefully. Reminds me of a movie I watched a few years ago, the name of it escapes me, but the whole world is gay and heteros are fighting for equality.

Almost Normal.

That was filmed in the city I lived in when I was in college, as were parts of "To Wong Fu" and "Terms of Endearment".

That's the one, thanks Inchante

I'm both surprised and not surprised. Surprised beacause homosexuality has become a lot more mainstream in the last few years, not surprised because despite what the media says people are still the same. The clip was interesting, a slice of life as it would be if we lived in a gay world. I think we attach too much importance to sexuality. Can't we all just get along?
Richard

that is sad that that happened. on a side note, the movie looks interesting and i think im going to pick it up to watch

wakeboarder Wrote:that is sad that that happened. on a side note, the movie looks interesting and i think im going to pick it up to watch

Hey Wake, I am curious, as I am from Utah, and since you live in Idaho. In my experience, Idaho is even more biased and backwards than Utah, have you had similar experiences?
Richard