Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i cant do this
Don't let your dad's words define who you are. You get to decide that, don't allow anyone else to. The only way someone can bring you down with words is if you choose to believe them. Don't believe them. There are tons of people in this world, not only your father, who choose to abuse others. Do not look at yourself through their eyes. Look at yourself kindly, with love, because you deserve fairness, especially from yourself.

The world is large and there is so much to do, see, and become. Give yourself a chance to explore the possibilities. Every situation is transient. You feel crappy now, but this too shall pass. Your situation will not always be the same. Give yourself the opportunity to be happy some day by sticking around through the tough times now.

When I went through a situation, the thing that helped me the most was helping others. Easing the suffering of others somehow helped me to ease my own. I volunteered at a humane society and a soup kitchen. Knowing that I was trying to make a difference in the world helped me build up my self-worth (I'm practically a narcissist now! Wink ). If you can volunteer, maybe it would work for you too?

There's no real easy way to work through this. Talking to someone will probably help, but solving the problem could involve anything from a major overhaul of your lifestyle to maybe just trying medication for a period. For me, during a period when I was feeling particularly down, I did something a little crazy and decided to go back to uni and study something I was passionate about, and so far that has worked great for me, it's given my life a new direction.

The most important thing is not to give up, if something you try doesn't help you work through how you're feeling, keep trying new things, eventually something will work.

chicagostyle Wrote:plain and simple, im deeply depressed and im generally the person that is a leaning shoulder for other people to talk. When i get depressed i dont talk, or eat,i just sleep and i isolate myself from everybody. Im depressed cause from iwhen i was 6 till 17 my dad was mentally and verbally abusive to me and by mom and 4 siblings. You have no idea all the shit ive been through with that, and on top of that im gay so that just adds to my depression. I truly wish i was dead, ive wished i was dead for a long time and i have no self esteem due to my father. I would just like advice to how to help me get out of this funk

Oh chicagostyle you poor soul, members of my family suffer from clinical depression and so I can understand what you're going through. I hope you consider going to get help. And I'm so sorry to hear about the abuse you suffered, I talk regularly to a young friend (platonic friendship) who suffers with depression and it helps him a lot to just talk. Talking is good.