Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead ends
Sometimes it feels like I'll never meet the right people. I know, getting involved is important, but even that can be hard sometimes; there's not a lot to do here that really strikes my interest. Even when I do get involved in things, it seems like a lot of people just want to stick with their own groups of friends. I guess I can sometimes be guilty of the same thing, but I'm starting to feel like my circle of friends is falling apart, which is probably for the best because I'm starting to realize how poisonous some of my friends are.

I'm not really sure how to go about things now besides just hope for the best, but it feels like there's no real win for me in this one, at least not for the time being.

You need to meet some new people and make new friends if the ones you have aren't that great.

You are way too young to be using the word "never"

find a new set of people, join in on activities you like, when you least expect it you'll meet people mor akin to you. No one is ever the only one that likes a certain thing..

don't let these setback put you down, you have a long life ahead of you to live yet, you may not know just how much it can surprise you

What your experiencing with your circle of friends is actually perfectly natural.

Friends come and go, get jobs, move away, get married,have kids etc. Priorities change. The whole dynamic of your friendships established in school/college starts to change. Besides which, who needs poisonous ones anyway!

Whats important to realise however is that new friends won't come find you. You need to go find them, and the easiest way to do that is to put yourself out there, and that includes getting involved in things that perhaps you wouldn't usually get involved in. Volunteer, take up the Gym, find your nearest LGBT group, take up a new hobby etc.

If you do nothing and simply hope for the best, your going to get awfully lonely....

ObW
X

Don't try looking for the right people. Just go to as many places as you can where you can meet and converse with lots of new people, and the rest will take care of itself.

As others have mentioned, gatherings where people have interests in common with yours are a good place to start.

Change the script and the scene Smile

Aww... Have you made any big life changes lately? School, work, coming out, etc.?

I found when I went to college that some of my friends drifted apart. One particular close friend hasn't so much as attempted to communicate with me since highschool, which was a little unsettling. Others just naturally drifted apart. I let them go, and put my energy into maintaining friendships where friends put their energy into maintaining my own friendship. I don't know if it's actually a good idea, but I never fight or beg for people to be my friend or to keep being my friend --- the door is always there...

At the same time I am horribly cliche' in that I still sometimes say, "Want to be friends?" to people I like, as if I'm still in Kindergarten.

I tend to make chance friendships without trying. I don't give up, and I stay friendly, and occassionally I make a new friend.

Remember that friends will always be entering and leaving your life, and it's not a bad thing. Never give up your values to make friends with people that aren't so healthy for you because you're lonely --- you will always have friends that someday come into your life if you have that door open, and if you surround yourself with people you actually do not like, those friends won't see the person you really are, and you'll end up surrounded by 'friends' while still feeling alone.

Placing yourself into environments with friendly new people obviously helps too --- many people find friends from clubs, teams, classes, and work. So look into that as well... staying in your house all day, as tempting as it becomes when you have no friends, cannot break the cycle of feeling alone...

Well, I am trying to be involved, there's this club I went to a few times last semester and I'm going to join again, but even there people seemed somewhat reserved... I don't know, there's only so many things I can do. No offense to the geeks out there, but a lot of the clubs at my school are oriented around geek-life stuff, either that or sports, neither of which I fit into very well. Even in the clubs I'm in, I feel like people don't really want to approach me. I don't get it, it's not like I keep to myself too much, and it's not like I'm loud and annoying either. Maybe they're just shy, I don't know...

Great post from Woollyhats!

I would just like to add: be positive and keep chipping away and it will come right for you in the end!

Try to get out there more and don't forget to try new hobbies , there is a world of opportunity out there just waiting.