Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
identity
Welcome to the forum, mightyd! Confusedmile:

SPLuna Wrote:At least for me I have found out that personally what feel about 33% of people use the word "gay" "Fag" and they dont mean it because when you comfort them they usually say no well I didn't mean it like that, especially here in the US "that's so gay" is often used with correlation meaning "that so dumb" and 33% are really nice and respect our lifestyle and views.

This is very true. My sister is not homophobic, but I've heard her use the phrase, "That's so gay", when talking with her friends. When I asked her why she used that phrase, she told me that it's just an expression everyone uses and it's not meant as an insult to gay people. We talked about it for a while and I think I finally made her realize that it is an insult to say that the things you don't like are gay.

You avoid taking notice of what other people think of you by simply improving your self-esteem. Once you realize that your happiness is paramount you wuill not give a flying monkey about what other people think of you. And I mean it in the nicest way possible. The people that love you for who you are will continue loving you. And if not, you will love yourself enough to make it enough. Just don;t get into stupid debates with people that are too narrow minded to have a debate.

I still find it upsetting when I walk into school and I overhear two boys (or even two girls) insulting each other by calling one of them gay... It's upsetting and at the same time, I feel I ought to say something, but I can't. I'd probably be more exposed than would be comfortable, especially with the type of population we deal with. Note that were this to happen in one of my classes, I'd surely address the problem differently.

princealbertofb Wrote:I still find it upsetting when I walk into school and I overhear two boys (or even two girls) insulting each other by calling one of them gay... It's upsetting and at the same time, I feel I ought to say something, but I can't. I'd probably be more exposed than would be comfortable, especially with the type of population we deal with. Note that were this to happen in one of my classes, I'd surely address the problem differently.

I guess I'm lucky in that, when I work in schools, I'm just a visitor for a few hours. I might not go back to that school for a year ... or ever. I say what needs to be said without having the same kind of consequences.