Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
inthecloset is finally Out The Closet
You are definitely not a coward. Just doing it sets an example for those still struggling. Congrats!

princealbertofb Wrote:OutTheCloset, bravo, really bravo!!! It is one of the hardest things we have to face... facing the disappointment, the sense of deception, the living of a lie etc... so I'm really glad that your family and friends took it so well. Not completely surprised about your mother's attitude, she may have other issues as well. She may even be really worried, depending on how well she thinks she knows what being gay means. You'll have to abate her fears and worries by gradually helping her to understand. There are groups out there to help parents of gays, maybe you'd like to suggest one to her (PFLAG) if there's a chapter near you. Your dad's a great guy, maybe he suspected and was waiting for you to tell. Your mum has maybe tried to hide it. There will be signs that she had picked up on, maybe subconsciously. She's been trying to hide it to herself the same way you hid the real YOU inside that closet.
The best you could do for your mum is to bring back the perfect partner, one who can one day be her 'son-in-law', whether you marry or don't (will you be able to?). She'll be worrying about you being happy, she'll be worrying about someone being there for you. That's what mothers fear. If necessary, explain to her that you are and will be careful about your health (no need to go into details).
I told my mother in an e-mail and I didn't think it would be a cowardly thing to do. It was just the way I felt the most able to handle the stress. It worked.

Hey thanks for your post. I just checked my replies. Sorry it took so long lol. But Thanks and yes i think its just a little hard for her to accept but everything is great. Things are going well. She just wants me to be happy either way.

So, it can go well. Very good to know...very glad it went weel for you, and thanks for sharing...I can only wish one day I'll have your guts and just say it too.