Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is it ok?
When intelligence and thoughtfulness become more popular than designer jeans we may stand a chance of becoming a respectful society. Until then we may only be "praying to false gods". I think we gain nothing by being disrespectful, period.

exactly. respects begets respects.

A couple of hundred years ago (not even that) men carried a sword or a gun on their hip. When two men passed on the street each had the ability to kill each other, quickly. So, I suppose the conversation went something like this "good day Mr. Smith, good day Mr. Jones".

mostly I try not to use such words,it only makes it easier for them to be used in a bad way,and for those people to get away with it,over here in the UK not sure about the US and elsewhere but the word "gay" has started to be used to mean bad or ugly etc eg, that game is so gay, that car is so gay,using those words with straight people there may be part of you trying to show them that really you think the same as them and "just a puff friend" separates the puff friends from the normal friends.

jamiebfd Wrote:Just wondering what people will think to this...

im bisexual but swing mostly towards men. im very straight acting and words that some people would find offencive dont bother me. for example: puff, faggot etc.
all the homophobic words basically.

because they dont offend me i dont mind saying the words myself. however i dont use them to offend people but rather i use them in general conversation.

for example. my best friend asked me about a lad i was hanging around with and asked how i know him.
i replied: he's just another one of my puff mates.

because im into lads is it ok for me to say such things or is it still homophobic?
can a bisexual man actually be called homophobic?

and just in case i have offended anyone using them in this thread i apologise in advance. its just a genuine question ive wondered about for a while.

feedback please

If its not meant in a homophobic way, its not homophobic. Some people may not appreciate being called "poofs" but thats something that you should judge on an individual basis.

simon Wrote:mostly I try not to use such words,it only makes it easier for them to be used in a bad way,and for those people to get away with it,over here in the UK not sure about the US and elsewhere but the word "gay" has started to be used to mean bad or ugly etc eg, that game is so gay, that car is so gay,using those words with straight people there may be part of you trying to show them that really you think the same as them and "just a puff friend" separates the puff friends from the normal friends.

You mean that the word "gay" is being used to describe something that is "stupid" or "silly".

Now, I dont see much of a problem. Words that are the same sounding and spelling CAN mean different things. For example, a bat which flies through the air and a bat that you hit a ball with.

As far as I'm concerned, when someone says that something is gay when they mean that something is stupid, thats a perfectly legitimate term to use. Its a different word. It doesnt do homosexuals much damage and homos have got to learn not to be so damn sensitive about everything.

It doesnt do homosexuals much damage and homos have got to learn not to be so damn sensitive about everything.

In your opinion...I disagree completely. I am not sure elaborating why I hold this opinion would do much good so I will just disagree and leave it at that.

I am thankful for the "senstive homos" who have made my life alot easier...I have nothing but respect for them.

Pseudo Rob Wrote:If its not meant in a homophobic way, its not homophobic.

Sorry but I disagree. Just because I think I have told a hilarious joke doesn't mean that others necessarily see it that way.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:Sorry but I disagree. Just because I think I have told a hilarious joke doesn't mean that others necessarily see it that way.

I dont understand what you're saying.

Jokes can be intentionally homophobic - Even if it is not meant in an explicitly spiteful way.

I've found myself using those words in a context that don't have anything to do with homosexuality here and there and I hear it all the time from others. It doesn't phase me nor does it offend or bother me. Getting mad or upset over it when it isn't describing anything that has to do with me seems a bit over the top.

Sometimes I think that people look for things to find offensive. To each their own I guess.

My point was the way a statement was intended and the way it is taken are too different things. I think it is possible to be unintentionally homophobic.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.