Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
keepsakes.
Do you have one sentimental item that you've had for forever, maybe its special because of how you come about it, or simply because of how long you,ve owned it, mine is a bit cliché a teddy bear, or a rat to be exact, Roland rat, that I've had since I was 2, its been through everything with me, now minus a few whiskers and beaten up a bit! lol

Btw you cant choose loved ones, that goes without saying.

I try not to to become attached to earthly objects. They are ephemeral after all.

I tend to link various objects to memories and how I felt when I came across them...

But I've had this wrist tie/bracelet for quite awhile, which I got from my best friend and have never taken it off since then. It's made out of colourful thread and is probably visible in a few of my photos. (The one on my right arm in my avatar pic)

I just love it to bits! <3

I have a few, and none of them are really that old.(three years max)
I plan to keep them at least a while.

A few. About a hundred years old koala bear, a little wooden deer, stones, letters, a pendant, dried bouquet of roses, things like that. I know they won't bring the people back. But bringing back the memories is nice too.

I have nothing from my childhood. I 'ran away' (escaped is perhaps the best word) from my mother and her husband at age 17, and that was pretty much with the clothes on my back. Packing a bag and trying to sneak out was out of the question. In order to have a few sets of clothes I dressed in layers (3 pairs of socks being worn at the same time sort of thing).

I acquired 'crap' for a few years, but got involved with Vincent (my second partner) and in order to survive I could only pack a duffel bag and run. Going back to get stuff was a nightmare, so I didn't get much.

After that I stopped putting sentimental value to 'stuff'. When I left Vegas I sold all of my crap, except for a few legal papers and my pocket watch, a duffel of clothes, and my leather jacket.

Since moving in here over 16 years ago I have acquired more 'crap' some antique stuff, about 5 tons of books and other 'stuff' however I am not really emotionally attached to any of it. I am way too willing to let it burn, rot, or sell it outright if push comes to shove or if need be walk away and start over again.

Between escaping my mother and escaping Vincent there was a time my mother tried real hard to get me to come back to the fold, promising me stuff which was legally my own stuff. Such as the mantle clock my great Grandmother left me in her will, or the amethyst collection collection my grandmother and I collected together way long ago. These things became leverage, and I fell for the trap.

15-16 years ago just before I cut ties with mother altogether she tried to 'buy' me back with more crap. I realized then exactly what the game was.

I learned my lesson well, and have learned how to not become attached to material stuff. It can be used against you, and there are too many people who want to use 'stuff' to buy your love. Having to affinity to money, jewelery, and other material stuff sets you free and prevents people from 'buying' you.

i have quite a lot of my brother's clothes and things ~

A watch that one of my best friends got me. I wore it even when there were no batteries

My teddy bear. I've had since I was 2. one arm is flat cuz I carried it by that hand always. One eye is lopsided cuz it fell out and I let my sister (who was a bitch at the time, but mellowed out) hot glue the eye back in place. There's fur missing.

I actually remember when we went to Utah, my family and I (9 at the time) got ice cream. I brought Teddy (the bear's name. yes it's overly cliche) in with me. I helped carry ice cream back to the car. As we were driving away an employee, a very cute one now that I think of him, came running out waving his arms and in one hand was Teddy. I almost cried at the thought I could've forgotten him.

Teddy was a major piece of my life. I never had many friends until recently. He was my friend and comforter when no one else could be. I'm pretty sure I would've cracked by now if it for Teddy

Yes I know what your saying BA and I was in that situation at 17, though Roland was shoved at the bottom of the bag, that's what i mean by been through"everything" with me. In fact what you said is so true, in relation to me, and how little emphasis I put on objects, is precisely the reason I like it, its miraculous it survived!