Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
last name change
i was wondering if anyone out there is in a relationship where one of the people changed their last name. i've been thinking about this a lot. even if you're not in relationship i would love to hear your thoughts on the subject and why you would or wouldn't. OR, why you would or wouldn't want your partner to.

p.s.
in my situation it would me to change my name because my partner name is known professionally.

Interesting... I hadn't thought about this in relation to gay marriage. I think I would prefer both partners keep their last names, unless we planned to adopt and raise a family. In that case, one last name is certainly easier than a hyphenated one for the kid(s).

On a personal note: my wife and I both changed last names when we married. She was never fond of her family name, and I reclaimed my ancestral name which had been westernized during WWII. Now that we are divorced, I'm glad our children have my name, but that's just my ego.

If you change your name, old friends will have a harder time finding you via google and fb. Your family will have their own reaction. It really comes down to how you relate to your name and your family. For myself, I wouldn't see a reason to change unless we planned to adopt.

when we got married , my wife changed her name to mine ~

i've already changed my name for other non-romantic reasons so i didn't want to do it again Smile

I could see myself in the future changing my last name for my partner if needed (Children or just getting married) Mainly because I don't really like it... just as a name... uhh.. Nor do I identify from it or gain any self worth from it.

I like my last name too much to change it... If I ever got into that situation....I'd probably have them change it to mine..... I wonder if there's an option where neither person has to submit themselves to that... If so... I'd opt for that...

My preference would be for a hyphenated surname. I mean we are talking about equality right?

I think even straight marriages should have hyphenated surnames, but that is just me.

dfiant Wrote:My preference would be for a hyphenated surname. I mean we are talking about equality right?

I think even straight marriages should have hyphenated surnames, but that is just me.

I like the idea of hyphenated, shared surnames. But then the issue would arise of whose name would go first, and the struggle begins anew :p

I would. I have the last name of cowards.

dfiant Wrote:My preference would be for a hyphenated surname. I mean we are talking about equality right?

this is interesting, but what happens when the next generation has all hyphenated names? like when two kids with hyphenated names want to get married. it would have to stop somewhere or it would become too burdensome.

I haven't been in a relationship where I had the chance to change my surname.

However, I did legally change my last name in December of 2012....primarily because I no longer wish to associate with my father's side of the family and I find his last name shameful.