Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[linux only] Fix for monochrome emojis on social networks
For quite some time I had noticed that sometimes (for unknown reasons) the emojis on different social networks suddenly appear as ugly monochrome icons. Eventually I got sick of the ugliness and did some digging on how to fix it. Then using the principle "trial and error" I found a way to fix them - for all browsers in Linux ONLY! If you have this problem in Windows, I have no idea how to fix it there.

1. Download this archive
Code:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12OWjPvUSZE9aJNEAACqK75vlr2yDeinN/view?usp=sharing
and unpack it in your home directory. In my case it's /home/rado, in your case will be /home/[something-else].
2. Close all open browsers. Or kill their processes, if necessary.
3. Using your file manager enter ~/.fonts and open the file named "flush fonts cache". There's a terminal command inside the file to copy and paste in terminal. Hit enter and wait for the task to finish. Then close the terminal.
I've put the command in a file on purpose, so that if I ever forget what the command was, it would be easy for me to find it.
Now you can open your favorite browser and resume what you were doing.

This is what your emojis will look like:

[Image: 3P2Zh5r.png]
Arch Linux, Core i7 4770, GTX 1660 Ti 6GB, 32GB DDR3 RAM
home is where root is.
[-] The following 1 member Likes rado84's post:
  • andy

Thanks Rado!

I don't use Linux on my desktop (only server) but seems cool! Wink
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Hmm, I don't recall noticing the monochrome emojis on Linux, not sure if they did something on Kubuntu or I never paid any attention...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!