Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
love to meet others
Hi All

My name is Jim and I am an alcoholic. I have been sober for 35 days. This is the latest of many attempts to live a life of sobriety, I really want to make this my lifestyle for the rest of my life.

I have tried AA in the past but I find it to intimidating, but I have reached the point after 7 weeks where I need to talk to someone to help support me. Does anyone in the London or hertfordshire know of any support groups for gay alcoholics? I need either a group or individual who can relate to me on a personal level.

Sorry to ask on this forum but I am not sure where to turn. If this is appropriate please ignore.

Jim

Hi Jim, first off congratulations on 35 days of being sober. Keep going to AA it does help you soon will settle down into AA. Get to know other members and you will hopefully find a sponsor. There is medicine to help with the cravings. I have been sober for 3 years it can be done. Send me a PM if you like.
An eye for an eye

Jim, why do you think AA is too intimidating? Talking about that might help you move forward a bit. I've been at it for many years so I've been there, done that. Grats on the clean time!Wavey
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

I forgot to note that there are some awesome 12 step meetings online too! Xyxthumbs
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

CCRox Wrote:I forgot to note that there are some awesome 12 step meetings online too! Xyxthumbs

I found the 12 steps awesome. Smile
An eye for an eye

12 steps of recovery = HOPE
H ope
O penness
P atience
E ffort
without the E ffort, you're just hopping around... Laugh

Hello, Wiggedjay, I'm sure this is totally appropriate. Good luck with finding some support here or elsewhere. And bravo for your sobriety of a month. It must have been a hard thing to overcome. Have you been drinking to hide yourself from yourself and others? For being gay when you didn't know how to cope with these feelings?

I got thrown into my first rehab at age 15 and dumped into AA shortly afterwards --- and yeah, it was intimidating --but 10 years later I gotta say that it has saved my life. I had a few more "slips" but have been going to AA and staying sober for 7 years --- the program works if you work it., Do it man, take the chance. You deserve it...

Thank you all for the encouraging posts. The support you have all shown has been very helpful. I have always used alcohol as a way of hiding my true self. I spent a number of years ashamed of being gay. The drink was the only way I could operate in the world I found myself through denying I was gay. 15 years ago I decide not try to run away from my sexuality but the process of accepting and embracing has been a long one. I am not there yet but have started to come out to some of my friends. Their acceptance has helped me to see that there may be hope. My drinking continued but nearly 2 months ago I embarrassed someone I love dearly, so much so they made a serious decision in their own lives that made me realise the impact I was having on others. It hard but I am committed to taking it one day at a time..

Thank you for feeling safe enough to come to this forum to talk!

I've been participating in an offshoot of AA for a non-chemical addiction for years and I must say, I've never felt safer to talk about my issues completely openly and honestly. The environment created by such 12-step programs made me feel welcomed, supported, valued, and respected. I've never once felt judged or looked down on. I'm only 1 of 2 gay men in my group of 25 men and not once have they responded negatively to me.

My point is, though it can be scary opening up to strangers about your problems and what you feel is the root of your addiction, AA is there to help you to understand your addiction, set boundaries, and utilize the many tools toward sobriety. I'm not sure if this is available where you live, but in the United States there are online as well as telephonic meetings for those that are unable to go to live meetings or may be uncomfortable with it. Though I urge you to actually go to the meetings in person; there is an amazing level of camaraderie that you can experience.

Good luck!