Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need money
I am retired, collecting social security, have a part time job one day a week and my roomie contributes to expenses, but I need to pay down some debt. There is some money leftover each month and I try to pay extra on some accounts, but I want it all to go faster. I am working toward getting things paid off so that I will get a bit of a snowball rolling downhill effect with the remaining debt.

I have a relatively low energy level and something physically taxing would be rough.

What can I do for a part time job to bring in some extra dollars?
I bid NO Trump!

I would think some where at a front desk like at a hotel or if your auto repair knowledge is up there you could work the front desk at an auto shop. Or if your feeling brave or just sick in the head you could get a call center job Smile.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

Ebay...it is easy and low cost. Go to a few garage sales/flea markets/estate sales/thrift stores...and you can figure out any plan you like. Choose something that interests you so you can become knowledgeable enough to know what to pay and sell for.

With minimal effort you can make a decent amount of money. I own a physical store...and also I do trade shows usually once or twice a week...but I have had an ebay store for many many years and I make decent money from that source.

When I first moved here, I worked for a temp agency. I would get sent out to offices to answer phones, file, do data entry, etc.- something like that might be a possibility...

In terms of receptionist/front desk --- a good bet is hospitals and clinics - they employ a lot of people , and other than the main lobby, places like the labs and x-ray need front desk people...

Colleges and universities are also a thought...reception, info desk, etc.

Good luck!

Front desk at hotels is relatively labor non-existent.

I have been applying in these parts at those high end hotels that charge by the hour... Mostly because a lot of them will pay on the side (ergo you don't have to report it to the Tax Man nor Social Security), and secondly it has been my experience that one can rapidly move up the ranks to a higher paying position because a lot of people once exposed to the reality of life on the edge can't hack it and go work for Mc. D's.

Since you are on SS - you can go through state employment department, they often have specialty positions which understands that you can only earn so much or you start losing what you get from Government.

[MENTION=20933]LJay[/MENTION],
a lot of the libraries are digitizing their books (and other material) now. the digitizing process itself is done by scanners and computer software edits it afterwards. so they need people to operate the scanners, and they also need people to proofread it all afterwards. i have no idea how much it pays, and how in demand this job is, but you could look into it. i think it's a decent option in itself.
''Do I look civilized to you?''