Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new job and terrified
so I got a job as an electrician that I've been trying to get for a while now and I'm excited to be going into a field I'm interested in but it's my first job in the field and normally if there's training involved it will say so in the job description with this company but this one does not. now I'm afraid that I wont know what I'm doing or can't catch on fast enough. I have a technical degree and I have the basics down but I'm afraid that it will not be enough. has anyone been in this situation before? I start to get nauseous when I think about starting Pukeface
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

Obviously they hired you knowing that you are a novice. So if they could see the talent you have and hire you, I would say you have no problem.

You will learn more skills along the way. This goes for any job, whether its something new, or something you have been doing your whole life....there are always new things to learn.

Dont worry, you will be super duper!

I can't say that I have been in your shoes...

is it possible to get a training course somewhere, maybe even ask for the company for it?

Otherwise, you'll learn along the way, and I think they would assume that

southbiochem Wrote:I can't say that I have been in your shoes...

is it possible to get a training course somewhere, maybe even ask for the company for it?

Otherwise, you'll learn along the way, and I think they would assume that

they do have training courses but usually you have to apply for it like you would for another position.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

mmm....you lose nothing in applying for one of those courses...

It's not very common anymore, but a lot of company's prefer to hire novices, as they can train them the way the company wants you to be trained.

If they hired an expert, then they would have to retrain him/her, knowing that they are set in the ways of another company.

This way, they save time and money by only having to train you once, the way they want.

And if you want, or need, more training....Im sure after you have been with the company for a few months, they will either pay for it, or offer it to you.

At any time you feel you need more specialized training, go for it. Specialized training always means more money.

If you end up really liking this field after your first year, then I would look into specialty training.
Find out what specialization makes the most money or is in the highest demand, and get that training.

After all, the more money you make, the more money you can save and put into a retirement account. Wink

Being new, they'll know what to expect, believe me after being on the job for about a week you will be less nervous, just show up early, be a good listener, and most likely you'll be working under a foreman who will know where to put you starting off

In every job I have ever held I have not felt ready on the first day. Some of those jobs have involved a fair bit of risk and responsibility. I don't think that is at all uncommon.

As a business owner with employees who work largely unsupervised, I see that in my new hires as well. Some don't feel ready when I put them out there, while others are overconfident and shouldn't feel ready. There is absolutely no substitution for on-the-job training and the school of hard knocks.

I bet you'll do fine, ceez. Good luck!