Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just new
I read some bullshit internet feed about how, 1 in every 10 guys are gay or something. It seems more like 1 in every 500.

I talked to that cute guy tonight. It was epic. Twice. I didn't initiate, but I meant business. My nervousness didn't show too much. He came over and started a bit of awkward small talk but after a few seconds I kind of cut it short and asked how to pronounce his name and then he just smiled and left. Then I saw him again later and we talked for a little bit and he asked if I take the bus, and I'm all, no I drive here. But he takes the bus. So I was gonna ask if he wanted a ride home, but I didn't. Maybe I should have.
A guy can give another guy a ride home and not be weird about it? Or no? I mean, we're coworkers, so it's cool right?

Welcome to GaySpeak, Trains. It seems to me that you don't need to be straight or gay to make friends, but what you need to be is confident that you are worth being a friend too. So basically it's not so much a question of sexual attraction as a need to feel less lonely and a need to share. It ought not to matter if the guy you are interested in as a friend is gay or not. That will, some time, become clear, if you strike up the friendship. So far, this man seems to have caught a certain vibe about you that means that he can at least talk to you. Try to feel more relaxed about it when he next talks to you. Maybe you can also find ways of keeping the conversation going for more than one sentence... Start asking questions, but don't make them too personal at first. Show an interest in people and they will generally respond. You can make a pleasant comment on something they are wearing that you find attrative. Then ask where they got the shirt, or their ears pierced etc... Also, if you listen well to what people say, you'll pick up on something they need or something they'd like and if it's a small thing you can do for them or get them, well make it a gift... If it's in your price range or possibilities. Like offering to babysit for someone who can't find a babysitter or find an item that they've been looking for for a long time without success. Or even finding out information for them that they couldn't find themselves. There's loads of way to connect with other people. Just read about giving him a ride home. That would have been the perfect way to connect. Try it next time. Now he knows you have a car.
Good luck in the process of getting to know some new friends. Hopefully, they will help you to come out to the world and maybe to your family, eventually.

trains Wrote:I read some bullshit internet feed about how, 1 in every 10 guys are gay or something. It seems more like 1 in every 500...
I think 10% is a little optimistic, although it was a figure that many thought had some credibility for a while. The UK government plans for services on the basis of 6% of the population being gay. I had a chat with some Muslims manning a stall at Luton Carnival a couple of years ago. They said Allah should be obeyed without question, homosexuality is an abomination and anyway, why should the majority of people worry about the whims of only 2.5% of the population. The figure that makes most sense to me is about 1%, although I would not be surprised if it turned out to be less than that. I am not keen to be part of a huge crowd, but that's still a lot of gay people!